Classic Series Lacquer vs. Road Worn

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ryan Donahue, Dec 25, 2013.

1. Ryan Donahue

Ryan Donahue

Hi all,

I was wondering Fender's Classic Series Lacquer was the non-relic'ed version of the Road Worn series. I have read a few threads that seem to contradict each other. I'm interested in the Classic Series '50's Precision Bass Lacquer. I haven't seen a lot of threads about this model but there seems to be a lot of praise for the Road Worn.
  2. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

If you believe that nitro and worn finishes affect the tone of the instrument (I don't), then get the road worn. People say the road worns feel better to play, which I can understand. But sonically the differences will be very little at the most.
  3. Ryan Donahue

Ryan Donahue

Enough to warrant the price difference? Sweetwater has the Road Worn for $1099 with a gig bag. That's pretty much MIA territory. The Lacquer series is $899 with a tweed hard shell case.
  4. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Unless you REALLY dig the roadworn look, I would honestly look for a used MIA.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pedroims

pedroims

I have owned two RW ( P and J) Great basses, the sound and feel was incredible, I sold them because financial reasons but I have been wanting to get another one. Currently I have an American Standard P that I got in a trade, great bass , I would not say that is better quality than the RW but just different, I would like the neck to feel like the RW though.

I also intrigued by the lacquer series, I waiting for one to show up on the classified section.
    bluesdogblues likes this.
  7. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus Supporting Member

Its the same bass just not factory worn in. eat some chicken wings rub it all over your neck,burn it with a cigarette, leave it in your car during a rain storm, then sand it.... its officially road worn. you saved $300 and much cooler for wearing it in yourself.
  8. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Play guitar.
    Or wait for a used RW bass to show up in the classifieds. All the reviews I have read here, and on other sites have been pretty much more than positive about the RW fenders, at least the Jazz model, where most talk about the incredible feel of the Jazz, and especially the frets, which are claimed to be different than the medium jumbo frets that come on the other Fenders. Dunno, but I will soon be having my own RW Jazz, ( used :smug:) and I'll give my impressions, at least compared to my well broken in '98 MIA Jazz.
  9. BCB50

BCB50

+1

I spend to much time trying to keep my stuff looking good as I can. I might not be able too replace it down the road. No problem with life leaving a mark, but it will be in my hands when it happens. Then that is my memory when I see it.
  10. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Play guitar.
    I don't think this is quite correct. There are a couple differences besides the road worn look, between the two, that might sway you to get one over the other, at least as far as the Jazz model goes. For example, the Classic Laquer Jazz neck is described by Fender as a " C Shape, Ultra Slim ", while the RW Jazz neck is described as a " C Shape ". Another example, the Classic Laquer Jazz neck ( back ) is described as " Gloss Nitrocellulose Laquer ", while the back neck of the RW Jazz is described as " Road Worn Urethane ." Two differences which, according to personal preferences as far as " feel " and playability goes, could be a deal breaker for one over the other. Of course, I have'nt played either one ( yet ), so I'm only going on how Fender describes the two, but, the way some players obsess over neck thickness and " feel" of certain finishes, those are not small differences between the two models.
  11. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apples vs. oranges.
    bluesdogblues likes this.
  12. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

.. like perhaps a Prodigy, or maybe an early short scale Bullet, or a Longhorn or maybe even a JP-90?

Of course I am being extremely facetious, and not meaning to be a rude, but all of these are used MIA basses ... and their specs could not be further from a Road Worn in every way ...

.. speaking in generalities can often be very misleading, speaking in terms of MIM, MIA, etc. are generally too broad of label that includes very different basses within each.

There are several differences between a Road Worn Series bass and an AmSeries or AmStand bass, even more than some of the other MIA offerings in recent years ... selections are often made on components, weight, or other specs, not country of origin ...

From the OP, it would seem that similarity of components and specs are the items of inquiry, not where it was made ;)

JMHO
  13. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

I love my Classic ' 50s p bass . Black and maple with gold anodized guard . It 's poly but plays and sounds great and durable and less expensive to boot.
  14. headband

headband Supporting Member

I picked up a Jazz RW for a very good price. It is a keeper. I have a CS 64 jazz and an original 69 jazz and it holds its own well with these. Perfect for road trips - already has the scars. The bass is light and has a vintage neck feel - and has the smaller frets that are found on the old fenders, too. My 64 CS has them, the 69 does not (Fender has switched to medium jumbo by then).
  15. tdizzle

tdizzle Supporting Member

I used to think that the Classic 60s Jazz (non-lacquer) and the Road Worn were the same bass due to the exact same specs on the Fender site, but after owning them both I realized that was not the case. I can't speak for the difference in sound, but the feel of the two are quite different (beefier neck on the Classic).

I have yet to play the Lacquer version.
  16. headband

headband Supporting Member

I don't know about the classic series neck, but I was very surprised to find out that the jazz road worn has a rosewood slab neck like the early 60's, not the veneer neck that you find in the later 60's.
  17. Ryan Donahue

Ryan Donahue

That's interesting. I wonder if the precision has the slab board as well. I just checked my local GC and they didn't have any Classics or RWs.
  18. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

The RW and Classic P-basses are maple fingerboard only.

BTW, the RW P and Jazz ARE NOT the same as the classic series. If you want to listen to the faux mojo haters (see above and elsewhere), go ahead, but I have played, owned, and researched these instruments. The RW basses are different. Ask Ed Friedland. Do a minimal amount of searching here on TB. :atoz:

About the Classic nitro basses—there is little to be said about how they compare to the RW because they are very very scarce. :rollno:
  19. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

OP was about road worns which only come in p and J. When I referred to MIA I was referring to MIA ps and js. Unless there is some other RW basses you aren't telling me about? As far as country of origin goes, some people....get this...LIKE MIA fenders and think well of them. Maybe next time ill tell him to buy a starcaster?
  20. Tooned

Tooned

For the new price of the Classic lacquer at $900 and the RW at $1000 you could probably find a nice used AVRI '57 or a '62. I've not played seen a RW in person but if you're like me and prefer shiny as opposed to worn in that might be preferable.

Also at that same $900 new price is the Nate Mendel model which is also finished in nitro and has slight relic work. The neck is rosewood and has different dimensions to the vintage ones however. Also a different pickup.

It depends what specific specs you're looking for: nitro finish, neck dimensions or bridge type.
  21. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

So which is the better instrument- the Fender Classic Series- Lacquer '50s Precision & "60s Jazz bass or the Road Worn Precision & Jazz bass.