Classic Vibe Jazz and Vintage Modified Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Shamiri On Bass, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Shamiri On Bass

Shamiri On Bass

Ok, now, there probably is, but I can't find any threads whichever newer my question. What is the difference between the Squier Classic Vibe Jazz Bass and the Vintage Modified Jazz Bass (the one in Olympic White or 3ts with the rosewood fingerboard)? Here in Australia the Classic Vibe is $200 more expensive, so I was wondering where that comes from. Thanks
  2. Shamiri On Bass

Shamiri On Bass

*which answer my question
  3. elBandito

elBandito

CVs are made in china, and VMs are made by Cort in indonesia. I personally don't think the CV's are worth the extra cost.
  4. Batmensch

Batmensch Supporting Member

Pretty much this ^^^^^.
    Don't get caught up in the "It's more expensive therefore it must be better quality" mindset. (the difference in cost between the two lines isn't all that great, relatively speaking, not great enough to say one is vastly superior to the other anyway)If you're trying to decide between the two lines, just get the one with the features and color scheme that appeals to you best. Whichever you choose, I'm sure you will be very happy.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

The differences are fewer now that the VMs have gloss necks, so the big differences are the bridge and the pickups. Both of which can be replaced, mind you. So if I wanted a white/tort jazz with a gloss neck, id probably save the buck and go VM. Just my opinion.
  7. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

In this case, I'd have to disagree, and not on the "money spent" front, but because of hands-on experience. Every VM I've ever tried out has been far surpassed by the Classic Vibes I've owned. It's not to say the VMs were crap (well…perhaps one, but there may have been demo-model-extenuating-circumstances going on there) and I'm certainly not ragging on the choices of others. But in my personal experience, the CV Jazzes I've tried or owned have been incredible. So much so that I've avoided using the "…for the money I paid" suffix in regards to them.

And before anyone says something like, "He just likes it because he spent more for it", let it be known that my most recent CV Jazz was mis-labled as a VM Jazz. I got it, and it's accompanying case, for the price of a used VM with no case. Lucky! ;)
  8. Bassbubble11

Bassbubble11 Supporting Member

I have a CV P and a VM Jag as well as a VM Jazz. The CV wins. Why? because the CV has better fit and finish. The hardware and pups are also a little better IMO. It just seems that there is a little more attention to detail and better QC on the CV's

I wonder if the folks who say the price difference isn't warranted own either or both a CV and VM.

I love my VM's but in my experience the CV is just a better instrument.
  9. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man. Supporting Member

Either way, it likely won't disappoint. I don't see a $200 difference though. :eek: Here it's only about $79.
  10. Fernando Costa

Fernando Costa

Media:
    I own a CV J. Johnston and it has better hardware, finish and the tone are better than some Fenders, IMO. It's hard to believe who is Made in China. VM is a good bass too, but CV is much better.
  11. audioglenn

audioglenn Gold Supporting Member

I have a couple of both the CV Jazz and the VM Jazz. I bought them used; some were the same price, some were very close in price. I like both of them. I will tell you the stock pickups sound very different between the CV and VM. I'm a little partial to the VM because I like the maple neck. I have different sets of pickups in all of my VMs. I have left the CVs stock because I really like the tone difference in those pickups.
  12. michaelandrew

michaelandrew The bass player is always right. Supporting Member

Here (Canada) the difference is only about $100.
  13. Makatak

Makatak

I found the cv to have nice tone but the output was weaker than the vm, didn't like the gloss neck or the brass saddles either,however the vm has that horrible painted block neck so my choice either the black/maple vm jazz or the j Johnston lpb jazz.
    I only ever buy second hand so im at the mercy of what's available, I don't like the feeling of new basses they always seem to feel cheap with no personality to me for some strange reason.
  14. matjaz123

matjaz123

I owned CV jazz, CV P (red), VM jazz, VM Jag... and before that Standards and even 1997 affinity P-bass which I regret so much for selling.
    The sound and output on CV and VM is well and loud. Very good in my different rock bands mix. The finish is great on all - but I also like road worn look, so I like scratches and so...

1. String spacing: VM is 19mm and CV is 20mm.
    On 4 string that is 4mm difference for your right hand. That is a big difference for me so I would never choose a CV again.

2. My concern is frett leveling job which depends on lucky on CV and VM. NO rule, just TRY before buy!

I rotate back and forth with number of Squiers and if the neck and frets are fine its truly a WORKHORSE guitar for low low money!
  15. Batmensch

Batmensch Supporting Member

Wrong. Those blocks are real inlays, not painted.
  16. michaelandrew

+1 Yes they are real inlays - love the neck on my VM!
  17. Makatak

Makatak

Are you sure?, i was referring to the maple necked black painted blocks on the natural vm, not the maple pearloid ones like on the later black bodied one which will indeed be inlays.
  18. Makatak

Makatak

is that what the salesman told you lol. I may stand corrected but all the natural vm 70s jazz basses ive seen with the black binding and blocks had them painted on.maybe squier upped their game in the later ones. I even heard the geddy lee jazz had painted blocks too ?
  19. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Painted Blocks = Rumor-Mill Garbage
  20. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

... for the OP, there is so much written about each on here and even A/B comparisons that you could probably read for a month every time you come on here ...

... with that said, realize that there has recently been changes/additions to both the CV and VM line, but mostly you will notice it in the VM line, so be aware of that as you read, although there is plenty written about those changes as well ...

I have had more than my share of both, and liked things about both ... but now everything is gone except for one VM Jazz (early '77 model), and if for no other reason, it is almost a full 2 lbs lighter than ANY CV Jazz that I owned, even the one that I chambered and changed out hardware to lighten ...

.. as mentioned a few times on here, you cant go wrong with either, and you will go even 'less wrong' by buying them used and comparing for yourself, in your own environment, with your own tastes and preferences, and then selling whichever you like least for very close to what you paid for it ... that is the only way to tell, try for yourself ... JMHO
  21. michaelandrew

No salesman involved - real binding, real inlays, real nice bass all around. I almost decided against doing the mod's I bought it for in the first place; it was so nice to play as it was.

I have no idea why Fender charges so much extra just to put a different decal on the headstock.