Claudia Lewis

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by Jerose, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Jerose

Jerose

Is that some JMJ slap bass in there?!

2. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

3. wonderjosh

wonderjosh Supporting Member

Sooo, was the album leaked on purpose? If not, did you find out who did it and kick them in the nuts with your purple and gold Puma's?

It's a pretty amazing record... I'm anxiously awaiting my Amazon pre-ordered copy. :)

4. Jerose

Jerose

M83 sent out an e-mail earlier this week saying that the Urban Outfitters website now has the album streaming, so I'm pretty sure it's on purpose.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. wonderjosh

wonderjosh Supporting Member

(Disclaimer: If talking about this stuff is not okay, please delete my posts.)

No Jerose, the album was on torrent sites as early as August 31st. I know sometimes purposefully leak their albums, but wasn't sure if that was the case here.

7. jmjbassplayer

No, in fact it was a very "un-purposeful" leak and we were bummed. Streaming it on Urban was our design, obviously.

This album was not cheap for me to make, and so I will be doing everything I can in my small way to make sure actual hard copies are in people's hands instead of lazy downloads from torrents. Plus, the torrent download is compromised sonically in a few ways, we found. PLUS, the mastered CD and vinyl sound ridiculous.

JMJ

8. Jerose

Jerose

Ahhh I didn't hear about that. Thanks. My first time hearing it was on Urban, besides when they released Midnight City as a download over the summer.

I keep forgetting to get on the pre-order list, but I'll definitely be picking up the album next week.

9. Jerose

Jerose

I must say that I believe you and M83 have created a masterpiece. I just can't stop listening.

Great work!

10. alecduncan

alecduncan

The slap fill towards the end of "Claudia Lewis" gives me goosebumps... great tone! Could you tell us what you used on that track to get that sound?

11. jmjbassplayer

Jerose, thank you!
    Alec, that's just a Geddy jazz bass through a gang of pedals and I don't remember what, but the Eventide Space was involved.

Best,
    JMJ

12. ronaldpdbrandt

ronaldpdbrandt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Sponsored by The Letter G
    This is my favorite track on the album, and it's totally because of your playing. Kudos!

13. jmjbassplayer

14. jbiscuti

jbiscuti

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Grolsch Strap Locks
    Was just gonna make a thread about this. Gnarly playing and tone man! Gotta get me a Geddy, :D

15. raul

raul

yes, it's an amazing song. the tone is delicious...the playing is a fine work of art. bravo on the whole thing! plus, it's fun seeing it at Urban Outfitters...great job!

16. BIGBOTTOMBASS

BIGBOTTOMBASS

Justin!! That bass playing on Claudia Lewis is like crack, I swear I wish there was more on there, That tone makes me want to cry. I Love M83 and I wasn't expecting any crazy bass playing like that, freaking awesome!!!