1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Clean blend pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fuzz_factor, Feb 4, 2011.

1. fuzz_factor

fuzz_factor

A lot of people mention clean blending when discussing bass overdrive, distortion, fuzz, etc.

I play a P Bass with flats and like a warm, fat, thumpy B-15 tone, but every now and then, I'd like to get some grind going. So far, using a VT Bass with the gain up, a Catalinbread SFT, 90's Rat and SUF Civil War Muff clone just don't sound right with my setup - a GK 700RB-II with a Raezer's Edge 15". Too... farty? Muffled? Unsatisfying?

I really like the tone of my amp, and I like the VT Bass set pretty clean. Things just sound 'meh' when I click on any overdrive/distortion/fuzz pedal (and I've tried a bunch, more than mentioned above because I'm mainly a guitar player and have too much dirt :)). Like most of you, I dig the sound of a cranked Ampeg; I'm just not hearing it with the VT Bass (too crunchy) or the SFT (too muffled and middy).

I'd like to try a clean blend pedal that has an effects loop and ability to set the wet/dry blend (or just setting the 'effected' level is fine).

Doing some searching, I see the Radial BigShot MIX Effects Loop Mixer and the Boss LS-2. I'm leaning towards the Boss because, well, Boss pedals are great and have a good form factor. Are there any others I should check out? Any advice for getting the most out of these types of setups? Any tips for getting a good dirt sound with my rig? Thanks!
  2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I strongly recommend getting a blender with a phase-inversion switch. Wounded Paw and Xotic are the two brands I know of making those ATM (well, there are other related products by other brands, but I'm talking strictly blender loop pedals). I use the Xotic, but if it ever died (unlikely) I would want to try out the Wounded Paw.

Radial's a good brand, but that BigShot Mix is a dud because it only allows blending between 50% wet and 100%--nothing below 50%.
  3. fuzz_factor

fuzz_factor

Thanks bongomania. The Wounded Paw looks good. Priced right and pedalboard friendly. I probably wouldn't have found that one on my own, nor would I have thought about phase issues.
  4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yeah when blending dirt pedals, it's common to have problems with low-end loss due to phase cancellation.
  5. kevteop

kevteop

As a cheap solution I would suggest a Boss LS-2 with a Digitech Bad Monkey in one of the loops. You won't get any phase issues with that setup.

I can appreciate where Bongo is coming from though, it's frustrating when you try to blend a sound from a pedal that flips the signal phase, and you would be surprised how many do it. I wish they would just ****ing fix that before they declare their pedals market-ready, it really messes with bass players.
  6. reddi

reddi

Agreed, it's a pet peeve of mine as well.
  7. Mr.Hat

Mr.Hat

Anybody know if the ebs unidrive flips the phase ?
  8. mozarwasagenius

mozarwasagenius Supporting Member

These pedals have built in blends of clean and distortion/fuzz:

MXR M80
    Tech21 Bass driver di
    Tech21 para driver di

All of them are great pedals
  9. BassBrass

BassBrass

as do MXR/Dunlop Bass Blowtorch, Wounded Paw Attack Goat, Take Flight Pedals The Goose, Team Awesome Fuzz etc., Iron Ether Oxcide, Chuck Brown Dog, Source Audio Multiwave, Crowther Prunes & Custard, OXfuzz Bass, and ProCo Rat bass Juggernaught. I'm sure there are more.
    I use my Xotic blender mostly for a DE Ruiner; sounds so good that way it's worth the board space. (Ruiner, being 2 darkboosts, does not invert phase. One Dark boost does...)
  10. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike Supporting Member

Can you do a clean blend with something like an Ernie Ball Stereo Volume/Pan pedal?
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EB6165?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=none&gclid=CJDymKSr7LQCFQWnnQodAD0AKg

I'm thinking split the signal out of my compressor, one side stays clean, other side goes through the pedalboard, then combine them in a stereo TRS plug and go into the Ernie Ball. Use the EB as a pan pedal and get a variable wet/dry mix on whatever's active in the pedalboard?

Is such an idea good, bad, or ugly?
  11. Rockin Mike

12. Rockin Mike

13. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    IMO, Runoffgroove's 'ginger' or 'flipster' pedals can sound like a clean SVT, an SVT cranked to the threshold of distortion, and beyond with no low end loss, and neither one requires a clean blend. a fairfield circuitry 'barbershop' is also great for that as well.

I also have the SFT and VT bass pedals but I rarely use them for the exact same reasons that you mentioned.
  14. Dazonbass

Dazonbass

Gemini drive is a clean boost with a great sounding overdrive... tragically no longer in product but thought it was worth a mention.

Also +1 on the ginger
  15. Meddle

Meddle

Real men don't use clean blends.
  16. Low Sound Love

Low Sound Love

I used to use an Xotic X-blender to restore some punch and low end to my dirt pedals. Nowadays I just use dirt pedals that keep the punch and low end alive, without the blender ...
  17. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    IMO, a great pedal doesn't really need a blend.
  18. BassManMike73

BassManMike73 Supporting Member

I build pedals, and a blend is one that I've been doing for a while. If you want one built into an expression enclosure, that's something I could easily do. PM me if you're interested!
  19. Meddle

Meddle

I'm tired of videos on Youtube of new bass distortion/fuzzes where the player uses a blend of 20% dirt to 80% clean. There is one for an MXR pedal where it looks like Cheech is playing the bass and I think it sounds like a clean pedal most of the time.

Is bass distortion a new concept or something? I don't mean the Boss ODB-3 style distortion that accentuates roundwound 'zing' with some rumbly stuff thrown in, I mean a fuller 'Marshall' distortion.
  20. cheapbasslovin

cheapbasslovin

Maybe, but one external parallel looper can make a bunch of middling pedals sound great.

Badger Schism is another option.