1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Clean Boost/Buffers

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JimmyM, Apr 13, 2014.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Time's come for me to get a clean boost/buffer, I think. Totally out of the loop on them, and searches don't reveal much. Not looking to spend hundreds, but want something good and transparent...small is a major bonus, too. MXR Micro Amp has always been a fave of many...anything topping it these days?

2. Pastrami

Pastrami

Wren and Cuff Phat Phuk B.

Though, it colors your tone. In good ways, but still, if you want something totally transparent, that's not your pedal.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Ya, don't want to change the sound, just boost it a little when I switch to PJ instead of P.

4. bassie12

bassie12

I have a couple early Fodera model 2000 Preamps, the ones with just the "battery check" LED. Found them cheap. They do a wonderful job of buffering the pickups letting you hear 'more" of the instrument ...and allow last minute tweaking without messing up your main amp settings. Found them cheap, nothing has beat them yet.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MR PC

MR PC

Xotic EP Booster, MXR Micro Amp

7. Feral Feline

Feral Feline Supporting Member

Years ago I read an article about little black boxes you can mount inside the control cavity of your geetar (three or four were reviewed by the magazine). Battery NOT required.

One of them was a clean boost. Memory's foggy so I can't tell you the name. Kind of hard to describe, but I found something similar at Stew-Mac called "Black Ice".

I know Black Ice isn't what you're after JimmyM, but the clean boost model I spoke of, if you could find it, could be wired to your J pup so it's always there, always on whenever you're in PJ or J mode.

Nevermind, after reading more on the Black Ice I see some people may experience a slight volume drop when engaging it. Okay, so my memory is fuzzier than I remembered and perhaps the little black box shootout in the magazine didn't offer anything other than a tone-modifier. Anyway, I'm posting this in hopes there might still be some passive booster cube out there that fits the bill and anybody with better recon/memory can divulge the info.

:bag:

8. MightyMiloQuinn

MightyMiloQuinn Supporting Member

For small I'd look at the xotic ep, TC Electronic Spark Mini, and the Pedal Projects Owly. And I believe sfx makes a mini boost as well.

9. ergbass

ergbass

Mxr micro amp. I use it as a clean booster and I am happy with it.

10. andrew

andrew Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Regenerate Guitar Works
    Non tone colouring, Radial PB-1 or Duncan pickup booster.

11. 1009

EQD Tone Job. 3-band EQ, suits bass very well.

12. scotch

scotch Will play bass for fish tacos. Plus cash. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    I really liked the Xotic RC Booster for bass. It has a Baxandall eq circuit for added functionality. It definitely "added" something really attractive to the sound!

For an inexpensive flat boost- the lowly EH LPB does well. I scoped it & the eq curve was clean and flat until the last 10-15% of the gain knobs range!

13. scotch

Disclosures:
    I bet the Xotic EP mini pedal would be great!

14. scotch

Disclosures:
    After more thinking...

I know it's not a simple clean boost, but - a popular way to do this for Nashville studio guitarists is to use a Boss graphic eq pedal set flat for clean boost. Then, if they happen to need a little more lows occasionally, or mid scoop, whatever - it's already there!

I own and use this micro bass eq pedal. It sounds great and gives you useful eq points if needed. Small, easy to power and only $88! Throw in the TB discount at the website below & it's even cheaper!

http://www.bassstringsonline.com/Mooer-Audio--GRAPHIC-B--Bass-Graphic-EQ_p_1710.html

[​IMG]

15. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

+1 Those little EQs are great clean boosts.

The SFX Micro Boost, MXR Micro Amp, SFX Micro EQ, Mooer/Joyo/Whatever EQs, Empress EQ (Great EQ + separate Boost Switch), SA EQ are all great choices. Some people will disagree on this, but the EHX LPB-1 is also good, and CHEAP!

16. Lebowsky

Lebowsky Effects Forum Resident

I did a very long search to find the best, most transparent clean boost. I settled with the sfx micro boost:

http://www.sfxsound.co.uk/microboost/

I think the Zvex Super Hard On also is among the most clean ones, but much more expensive.

17. Lebowsky

Lebowsky Effects Forum Resident

Cheap yes, clean/transparent absolutely not. It distorts after 9/10 o'clock.

18. scotch

Disclosures:
    Agreed the LPB-1 is a perfectly good clean boost. Probably the cheapest you'll find!

19. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Here's another vote for the Xotic EP Booster. PS: Oh, and I have the internal +3db rocker switch turned off inside of mine.

20. scotch

Disclosures:
    Not my experience at all! Are you quite sure you weren't simply driving something else into clipping downstream?

21. skulletwhip

skulletwhip

+1