1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Clean, Clear Amp

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Musicman1901, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Musicman1901

Musicman1901 Supporting Member

Hello,

I currently run a Wal MKI to my pedalboard to a splitter then into two amps. A kustom 310 combo and a mesa M-pulse into a 4x10. I am looking to eplace the kustom with something better and less of a pain in the ass to gig with. I have recently been very frustrated with how much better my tone is recording direct than when I play through my rig. It is so much more clear and well defined. I am curious if anybody has suggestions for an amp to replace my kustom that is very clear and is going to give me closer to my direct recording sound. Trying to keep the budget at 1k or less. It's gotta be a minimum of 250 watts. Thanks everybody!
  2. Phalex

Phalex Yeah, I've got the moves like Jagger. Supporting Member

Maybe a preamp and a power amp into the 410?
  3. PipeRain

PipeRain Operator Of Pointy Basses Supporting Member

Although those more in the know might have better info, I am led to believe that Hartke (At least in their HA series) and G-K are known for being rather "Transparent". I do know that my Behringer Bass V-Amp Pro pre will let you run without amp or cabinet sims straight into a power amp.
  4. Musicman1901

I am actually already running a sansamp RBI pre-amp into my mesa. I am just looking for a combo or a half stack to replace my kustom. Something is crystal and transparent as can be. I will look into the G-K amps. They were actually one of my first thoughts.
  5. Musicman1901

I was bummed to see they don't make the backline series anymore they were great amps and they were affordable. Alot of G-K stuff is alot higher end now!
  6. sdenney78

sdenney78

I play a Peavey Tour 450, and I think my bass sounds very transparent through it. The Tour series uses a class AB power section that by design "should" create a more high fidelity signal than the standard class D. I feel like this amp adds very little, if any, color to the sound. Some people may not like this amp for that exact reason, but for those looking for a neutral/uncolored/transparent tone, then I highly recommend this amp. If more power is needed, you could choose the Tour 700.
  7. Musicman1901

Thanks for the advice I will check it out. That's exactly what I want, something that does not color my tone at all
  8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Mic pre like the ART Tube Pac, Tube Channel, Pro Tube $100 to $230 used or new depending on what you find. Do not discount the Tube PAC. It is a very clear and transparent unit.
    Crown XLS or Carvin DCM or QSC GX used. $200 - $250
    FEarful 15,6 used

You might be able to squeak in under a grand and that would be a very clear, transparent, loud and deep rig. Troll the GF.

You could also look at the GK 1001 RB II and a fEarful 15.6. Tirn up the mids slightly on the Gk and you are close to flat. That rig will keep up with and sometimes bury the typical 4x10 rig.

There are a couple of Epifani UL310's in the GFS... Those would also be a nice option...
  9. Grateful

Grateful Supporting Member

Carvin makes nice, clear amps. Many Bass reviewers (Print, YouTube and others) will often use a Carvin BX500 when testing cabs or basses.

I recently picked up one of their 2x15 Micro stacks and it sounds great. In your budget, you have lots of options.

Though everything will color your tone to a point. Some (GK, Ampeg, etc) more than others.
  10. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Speakers will affect how clean/clear the sound is as much as (mayber more than) the amp used.
  11. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

Perhaps Trace or SWR would be more to your liking
    Very clear and studio like IMO/IME
    I've owned both and kept the SWR
  12. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Clean?
    Like already said; channel strip / preamp of your choise into PA power amp.
  13. Major Softie

Major Softie

Peavey had always been famous/infamous for being very clean and transparent. Even their tube amps give less color than other tube amps, but not as transparent as their SS.
  14. Alex1984

Alex1984

I like SWR for clean and clear.
  15. DogBone

DogBone

^ This is a great suggestion.

However I'm a bit confused with the overall situation.

OP, If you are playing effects split into two rigs I'm confused as to why you have decided the Kustom needs replacing as opposed to any other changes, particularly since I imagine the Mesa into the 410 would be a lot louder than the Kustom therefore having more effect on your tone.

You may be better served replacing your Kustom with a power amp into a full range cab, or just running your pedal board and/or sansamp into a GOOD powered speaker, such as a QSC K12
  16. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

I've seen brand new Genz Benz 6.2's (375w @ 8 ohms, 600 @ 4 ohms) going for 399.00. HIGHLY recommended. If they are gone, new Carvin BX500's can be had for 349.00. Great deal for 500w, semi-parametric EQ (mid clarity) and 2 ohms capable.
  17. Musicman1901

I like the sound of that idea..maybe just running my one channel from the preamp right into a powered speaker.. Hmmm