1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Clean/Dirty 8-10??

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Reeneo, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Reeneo

Reeneo

Hey low end lovers, (skip to last paragraph to avoid unnesecery talk)

Not often I start a thread due to being able to google all my talkbass needs, wants and fantasies. But I have an idea//question and seek opinions and facts.

Now I know a lot of you like splitting signals clean//dirty blends, bi-amps and even completely separate rigs, but what about cabs?

For example I play in a hard rock/grunge/metal band and enjoy using a few effects here and there. Bit of dirt, chorus, a lot of dirt, etc. But like to use these over a solid crisp clean to keep things from washing out. And now I'm rambling so to the point.

Has anyone split up a cab? Say two heads into a 8x10 or other multiple driver enclosure. I imagine it would work best on an 8-10/4-10/4-12 or like the boogie 4-10 1-15. Clean 10's dirty 15?

Thanks, Reene
  2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Unless your cab is already specifically set up to run stereo like some 810's are, imho its a waste of time and effort. Just run your whole signal through an 810.

Now if you have a set of smaller mis matched cabs then you may vary well want to run separate amps.
  3. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

You can also make it simpler by running your effects through a blender pedal. It allows you to blend in a clean signal...
  4. Reeneo

Reeneo

Ah I've never heard of a stereo 810?? And I'm just asking in a general way. I blend my signals, one amp, one cab, easy option.
  5. Jackson171

Jackson171

SWR Megoliath. It's an 8 x 10 that is basically two 4 x 10's in one big box. Each has it's own input.
  6. lowliferumble

lowliferumble

I have a modified Powerhouse 1000 (4 x 10",1 x 15") , it has been split into two seperate signal chains. I run the 4 x 10"s full range and my effects are only in this path . The 15" signal is run through an electronic crossover that limits it 600hz. I have replaced the original 15" EV with an Eminence 3015LF . How does it work ? After some sorting and crossover tweaking...... Amazing is the best way I can describe it.

Many will scoff and say you can't have both in the same cabinet , and while I would normally agree , I can't argue with what I am hearing. Crisp killer fuzz and distortions , and modulation effects with no loss of low end clarity and performance.
  7. Reeneo

Reeneo

Ah cool. But that's what I mean. It's easy enough to split an 810. Two 8ohm 410s, svt 4 pro clean one side. Dirty other? Just seems weird it hasn't been done/mentioned before? But cool.

I'm actually in a 'slimming down' mood at the mo. Now I'm playing out a lot more with an originals project I'm getting everything put together for a speedy setup, I've just pulled the trigger on a Fender TB-600 that I'm gonna rack, along with my pedals.

I'm hoping the tuner in the TB's foot switch is decent enough to use then I can have just that out front. I can use the onboard tube od, which has surely gotta be better than the boss odb-3 I use now? And then something else in the fx loop as that's switchable. There's the vari q.. All racked with spare cables batts etc in the box. Easy:)
  8. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Most modern ampeg 8x10s are this way. I believe starting with the early 2000s models. They have a full output jack and stereo 8 ohm 4x10 jacks (see pdf manual here).
  9. seamonkey

seamonkey

All effects have a dry/web mix
    Keep some of the dry signal in the mix.
    Trying to do this with amps, Out in front a clean and dirty just mix in the air by themselves.
    It's all summed at some point or you'd never be able to record it, mic it, or DI it.

No need for alchemy of trying to co-amp, but if you have the time and money, there's no harm in it other than wasting time and money.
  10. dukeisdog

dukeisdog Supporting Member

I'm running a clean/dirty rig into my Boogie 4X12 full range.

Crest Prolite 2.0 2 channel power amp, two Sansamp RBI's, one clean, one dirty. Allows me to keep all of my low end dialed in but add a nice gritty edge to my tone also.

Super happy with this rig.
  11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    No they don't. Some do but they're not nearly as common as those that don't.
  12. Reeneo

Reeneo

That's the beauty of all this music malarkey. There's essentially no wrong way of doing things. If it sounds good to you then it is.

And @lowliferumble. That sounds pretty epic. I knew at least one person would be doing this in one cab. All be it with some modification.
  13. bassgod0dmw

They they don't.

A lot of effects can suck the lows right out of your tone. Blending in a clean signal with the effected signal brings it right back in.
  14. seamonkey

seamonkey

Yes sure same idea in theory
  15. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

yah its a waste of time.

Blender pedals ohhh awww, alot of pedals in the 80's had Dry/wet knobs for this reason.
  16. christw

christw Always searching for the right Ric... Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    I think that I would rather cart around an extra blend pedal or fork up for pedals with wet/dry mix knobs rather than buy and bring a whole extra cabinet. Heck, my Mesa Buster has a wet/dry effects loop blend onboard.
  17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I just get pedals that work without needing a blend. I don't like being able to tell there's a blend going on, and there's a real fine line between getting the blend right and wrong.
  18. IPYF

IPYF

I've toyed with this a couple of times but at the moment I have different objectives.

My plan was to run the bass through a Y box, one side to my GK and 410 (clean), the other side to a separate 210 being driven by a tube guitar amp with an overdrive preset. I decided against it basically because it would be stupidly expensive to facilitate and would probably sound like badly mixed balls@ck.
  19. bassgod0dmw

Lots of bassists do this and it can sound great. Yes, it can be expensive.
  20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Doesn't have to be expensive, but it will cost more than just having a single amp and cab. But I think it's a great way to go if your dirty amp is a low power tube amp cranked.