1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Clean Loud Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by kbaxter26, Sep 23, 2013.

1. kbaxter26

kbaxter26

I am trying to figure out what Amp and Cab combo to get. I want/need a clean (no distortion) system that retains that clean tone throughout the volume level. Everything I have tried has been clean until the volume starts to increase, then....distortion sets in.
    Suggestions?
    Have a Peavey Combo 300 now, and is ok up to a point. But, it just starts to distort to early for my liking.
    Tried a GK 250 but it was just too muddy (FOR ME).
    Thanks.

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Clean means more speakers and more wattage. In a band setting if you want to keep clean you're going to need to move up a 'level or two' to the 500-800w range and look at having more speakers (2x12, 4x10, 2x15, etc.).

3. 2milehighspike

2milehighspike Supporting Member

What is a GK250? Would that be a MB200? I have a MB800 which is anything but muddy, and is very loud and is very reliable and has headroom to the sky. Give it a try!

4. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Markbass amps have a good clean tone.
    As Burningskies indicated, you will need more speakers and more headroom.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. two fingers

two fingers You tahkin 'uh me? Yeah, you. You tahkin 'uh me? Supporting Member

This is more of a "whole picture" question rather than any one component. How hot are your pickups? How hard do you play? How hot do you run input gain? All these and twenty more things will determine how clean an amp will run. I have an all-tube Ampeg V4 that is clean as a whistle, depending on what I do with it.

Also, it is very rare to be able to run an amp wide open. No need to dive into all that here. Let me be the first to say "read the sticky". There is a thread at the top of the amps section with a lot of info (almost too much to cover). But it is safe to say that if you run your input gain hot, and your pickups are hot, and your playing style is hard, there probably is not one single amp on Earth that you can just dime all night (not one that won't require its own truck for the head and speaker cabs anyway).

I think it is safe to say you want more volume. Do some reading. I run a Meas Walkabout Scout 15" with matching extension cab. I can't turn it above 2 without being way too loud for any band I have played with. Who cares if I can turn it all the way up? Why does that matter? It's loud enough and sounds great. Those are the only things that matter to me. Others are concerned with price, portability, ability to play well with pedals, etc. Those are the things you need to decide and go from there.

7. davidgoldman

davidgoldman

GKRB1001 - very clean and load. I use gk212 80% of the time and 2 cabs for large clubs or outside.

8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

The 1001 RB II seems to me to be the entry point into reliable and really loud and clean. You can spend a lot more and do worse...

9. kbaxter26

kbaxter26

I will read the sticky. Sorry. The GK I had was a Backline 250 paired with a 115 BXR.
    I am not looking for full volume on the control. Just loud and clean. Whether that be at 2 or 10.
    I am playing both a J and a P Bass. Both passive. No pedals! Mostly play in a large Church.
    May be having an occasional outdoor gig next summer. I prefer the sound of Ampeg, but I have yet to try one at the volume I am looking for.
    They sound GREAT at the music store! But, how will it sound cranked up? No idea.
    Thanks for the input and suggestions. Time to READ!

10. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Clean and loud? ART PC II paired with a bridged peavey IPR 1600.

11. stonewall

stonewall Supporting Member

this isnt a combo but the Traynor Dynabass 800h is loud and clear No distortion i play lots outdoor and lots of big clubs indoor.Gain at 5 Master at 5 is the max ive ever had to go....

12. dincz

dincz

Mic preamp/channel strip plus a decent power amp.

13. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

Sounds like a job for a pre/power setup. Get a power amp with 1000+ watts, preamp of your choice, and at least a 4x10 or 2x12 cab (but preferably more, if you're playing a lot outdoors or anywhere without PA support), and you'll have plenty of clean power.

FYI I switched to pre/power almost a decade ago for the same reason (clean volume and minimizing clipping) and haven't looked back.

14. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6
    I used the Carvin BX series and they were very clean. Checkout the BX1500...just a thought...

15. mokkat

mokkat

I bought a Hartke LH500 based on all the nice forum feedback and the tone Victor Wooten is getting out of his LH1000 - it did not disappoint!

16. TigerInATrance

TigerInATrance

+1

This is the cleanest (and loudest) amp I've owned. Plus the EQ sections are deep enough to let you find whatever clean sound you need.

17. kbaxter26

kbaxter26

What Cab/Cabs are you two using with the Carvin BX1500? I am shocked at the low cost.

18. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

For me, I would pair that amp with a fEARful 15/6.

19. TigerInATrance

TigerInATrance

I've got it with a pair of Avatar 212s, one on each of the power amps at 4 ohms... I've got enough volume for anything without going over 4 on the master volume and it's 2 ohm stable so, hypothetically, I could add another 212 to each side, or, put the 212s on one side and add a big sub to the other using the crossover...

With all that power and options out the wazoo it would be a great deal even if the sound was just OK, but on top of all that the sound is fantastic as well...

20. Biggbass

Biggbass Supporting Member

Good friend of mine plays thru a BX1500 with two Acme B Cabs.
    It's clean and loud as He!!.

21. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Want clean and loud......... Carvin B2000. Mono block head!! 700watts @ 8 ohms, 1300. @ 4ohms and 2050watts @ 2ohms. A very strait forward easy to use 6 band eq with a tube preamp..... Weighs 12lbs and a killer price!!! And for what cabs I run with it.... A fEARful 15/6/1 and the big boy fEARful 1515/66/1..... Yup clean and loud as Hell!!!