Cleaned rosewood neck with guitar polish now white grained

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mathewjg, Jan 10, 2013.

1. mathewjg

mathewjg

I thought I would make a nice job of cleaning my rosewood fretboard with some very old guitar polish that I had knocking around the studio for many years. It made a nice job of the body and then I got tempted to use it on the fretboard. It looked pretty good at first but now that the polish has dried it has left a white residue in the grain of the wood - I suppose it does make it look quite different but anyone got any nice simple way of removing it?

2. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    Sounds like you dried it out. Youjust need to mostureize it.

I use Music Nomad's F1. Great sutff and better than lemon oil.

Put a little inbetween fretts and rub with your finger. Let it set for a few min. and rub off with a rag.

3. Randyt

Randyt

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Adult Pampers
    try naptha.(lighter fluid)...start in small area first.

4. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

It's not dried out. You just used a polish on open grained wood that's meant to be used on clear coats. A toothbrush should remove it with no problem. You may optionally add a little fingerboard conditioner, Murphys Oil Soap, or boiled linseed oil if you want to condition the surface of the rosewood.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Silver Blues

Silver Blues

Naphtha isn't lighter fluid, lighter fluid is generally butane and the range of compounds classified as naphtha are hydrocarbons larger than pentane.

Sorry, I've got to stop doing that. They do sell actual naphtha though.

I use lemon oil and find it works great.

--Silvie

7. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Just remember that unless you're buying pure lemon oil what you're using is mostly petroleum distillates with citrus oil and fragrance added.

8. Silver Blues

Silver Blues

Lol yeah, it probably is. Still works, though, my rosewood-board instruments look good. :p

--Silvie

9. Steveaux

Steveaux

Coleman Fuel is naptha. Lighter fluid. Ronsonol, Zippo, etc., is a perfectly good substitute.

Butane is lighter FUEL, not lighter FLUID.

10. Silver Blues

Silver Blues

:eyebrow:

It doesn't matter anyway, that was just me kind of being a PITA. lol

I was picturing something like the Behlen stuff as naphtha.

--Silvie

11. mathewjg

mathewjg

Many thanks for the swift responses - glad to hear that I have not permanently given the neck a new style of wood grain effect!

12. tabdog

tabdog

A taste of your own medicine,

Tabdogt

13. Silver Blues

Silver Blues

All right, I get it, I apologize. I'm not above acknowledging I'm wrong.

--Silvie

14. Turnaround

Turnaround

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Bass Technician, Club Bass - Toronto
    Sorry, but butane is a gas. Lighter fluid is ... well, a fluid. And it's mostly naphtha.

15. Silver Blues

Silver Blues

I realized. My initial train of thought was mistaken. As steveaux pointed out, I interchanged the words "fuel" and "fluid".

--Silvie

16. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

You left goop in the grain in the fretboard. Use a damp cloth to remove it. You don't need to add anything to rosewood, so skip the oil, polish and other goo.

17. awilkie84

awilkie84

This isn't always true. While naturally oily, rosewood will eventually dry out. This is exaggerated by what he will have to do to get the polish out. It's in the grains and a damp cloth is going to take a LONG time to get it all out.

18. tabdog

tabdog

Lots of nit pickin goin on here.

I've been using lemon oil sparingly to clean
    basses for 30 years. Contrary to popular
    beliefs, it only has three ingredients. It has
    been protecting wood for longer than any
    of your guitar cleaners that usually share
    ingredients with lemon oil, and some of
    them have ingredients that just should
    not be used on a fine instrument. It is
    gentle and doesn't infest the wood with
    a bunch of corrosive chemicals.

I think the reason folks don't like it is
    that it requires elbow grease,

Tabdog

19. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

You're right that it's going to take a while. My general opinion about oiling necks is based on a 1972 neck on my 1963 Precision. It has lived in the western US in low humidity environments and has never been in a climate where humidity doesn't dip below 10% on a regular basis, at least in winter. It has never been touched with any oil or conditioning agent. It looks, feels and acts like it did in 1972.

I don't oil or condition the necks on any of the dozen basses I own, including the ones which date to the 60's and early 70's.

It appears to me that for some reason, there are people who feel compelled to add conditioner to bass necks. I've read the threads with interest, and I've seen posts from people who put so much goo on necks that I'm surprised the bass doesn't squirt out of their left hand and the frets don't fall out.

But I don't think that a very occasional wipe with a very light application of something to keep the wood "fed" would be inappropriate at all. However, I wouldn't use a variation of lemon oil, linseed oil or the other weird stuff that people post about. I have a bass that I de-fretted, and after lightly sanding that rosewood neck, I put one moderate coat of Homer Formby's Tung Oil on the neck. That was around 10 years ago and it looks great. I didn't try to build a shell finish with the Tung oil, I just wanted to get a sealing coat on the neck. If I had wanted a harder finish, I would have used multiple coats of Birchwood-Casey Tru-Oil. (Which I realize is a mish-mosh of linseed oil and various other things, but I've used it on gunstocks and I know what it can do.)

If I were to do anything for a rosewood board, it would probably be once a year or less frequently, and it would be an extremely LIGHT wipe with plain old mineral oil, which is the same thing I use for wooden knife handles in the kitchen. I'd wipe off any visible remains and call it good for a year or longer.

20. wcoffey81

wcoffey81

if the white stuff still bothers you try one of the oils suggested and use a worn out toothbrush to scrub with the grain

21. dStar

dStar Supporting Member

Lemon oil is not good for open grain woods like rosewood. As it evaporates it dries the wood. Linseed oil works best on rosewood.