Cleaner and Clearer...Technically Speaking?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ross AriaPro, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Ross AriaPro

Ross AriaPro

On the Warmoth site they advertise steel stiffening rods for necks on either side of the truss rod...for cleaner and clearer notes.

http://www.warmoth.com/Bass/Necks/BassStiffingRodsPop.aspx

Technically speaking, what exactly does cleaner and clearer mean?
    Can it be scientifically measured?
  2. mimaz

mimaz Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    That answer will almost certainly be fairly subjective, but to me it means note and tone are well-defined and articulate. Not sure if that can be scientifically measured, but I'm sure someone will chime in on that soon.
  3. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

If you can hear a difference, it surely can be measured.
  4. groove pump

groove pump

Also easy to measure the heft of these necks - the steel rods are certainly heftier than graphite. That can possibly make for a little bit of a balance issue - the heavier neck is more prone to neck dive - but I have a Warmoth neck in my favorite parts J-bass. While the instrument is a little on the heavy side, the upper horn is long enough that the balance is okay and the heft isn't much of a nuisance with a nice wide strap. Just a consideration with that sort of neck.

I've tried a lot of basses over the years since getting into this J-bass - I actually ordered the neck with the fret size I preferred - and I've come to love it. Anything from Fender and so many other builders almost feels like flimsy balsa wood.

The general "solidness" in this steel reinforced neck has become my "normal". Does that solid feeling mean that I get more consistent response across the entire fretboard? Maybe... but I haven't done a Pepsi Challenge and swapped in the same neck with graphite rods. Can't say I want to though...
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ross AriaPro

Ross AriaPro

Something I've noticed with many basses is that the E string sounds a little dead or inaudible on the upper frets.

Maybe the steel under the board helps in that area.

Thanks for your comments GP. -Ross.
  7. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

Remember, Warmoth needs to have some kind of marketing sales pitch to get you to change your neck. It is totally subjective in my opinion. I'm not saying it is a gimmick but it is something that they are doing to increase sales so they need to claim some kind of improvement from stock to get you interested....which looks like they accomplished.
  8. Ross AriaPro

Ross AriaPro

Isnt that what a gimmick is...something to increase sales without any intrinsic value?
  9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass Gnarsty bass tones Supporting Member

Cleaner and clearer is meaningless marketing hype. Adding the rods may affect tone in some way, but the deliberately vague term is proof enough that Warmoth doesn't really know how.

Two necks can sound different even when identical, due to the variable nature of wood. Point being, it would be incredibly difficult to measure how the rods affect tone.
  10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass Gnarsty bass tones Supporting Member

Not true (i.e. not always true). Best example: the audiophile claim that a $1,000 power cable will make a bass amp or stereo system sound better. Some are absolutely convinced that they hear improvement when they compare the fancy cable to a normal one. This does not mean that the improvement exists, it just means that humans tend to hear what they believe they will hear, regardless of reality.
  11. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

I stopped short of saying it was a gimmick because I have no way to specifically judge it as a "no value" proposition. If it is, indeed, without value you would be correct.
  12. dkelley

dkelley

But that's different because it's well understood that audiophiles in those situations are NOT hearing a difference, rather they are avoiding abx or double blind testing intentionally and preferring to believe they hear a difference, mind over matter and psycho-acoustics etc, which of course makes them argue that there is a distance despite a lack of logic and proof and a fear of double blind testing.

If there truly is a difference, it can be measured. However as noted the variation in necks and basses makes this test virtually impossible.
  13. pfox14

pfox14

Generally, a stiffer neck should have less dead spots, so maybe that's what they're selling.
  14. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

15. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

Cleaner and Clearer reads as "Modern Tone" to me.

I'm probably way off base with that thinking, but whatever.

Not sure how stiffening rods would accomplish this, but I have a fat finger on the headstock of my bass, so what do I know.