"Cleanest" tube sound

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TrevorOfDoom, Jan 10, 2014.

1. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

This may be an odd request, but...
    I play regularly at a church that has me run direct. It's not a problem except that i don't much like my tone. I use a Radial JDI with the Jensen transformer, and that warms up the tone, but i want to be able to dig in and hear my tone push back, if you will.
    With that said, if I am to add a pedal, i need it to be as clean and transparent as possible, yet warm. I don't really want the BL or soundguy to notice i've added something to my signal path. I've known Hiwatt to be the kings of "clean" tube tone, so methinks that's likely what i'm aiming for. I'm looking at either the Tech21 Leeds or Catalinbread WIIO, but i'm open to suggestions, and hope that the TB masses have some ideas.
    Hit me.

Thanks!
  2. MightyMiloQuinn

MightyMiloQuinn Supporting Member

3. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

^^^ Agree with all that. The Barbershop is good for sounding like a tube amp, though it does have an bit of an EQ baked in. The Paul Cochrane Timmy (also a clip on Johnk's site) might be worth checking out. The Darkglass VMT can do vintage tube and can stay fairly clean with the drive dialed back.

The Joyo Ultimate Drive set to low gain can give a bit of what you're talking about, too. Heck, I've been messing with an ART Tube MP lately that can give a transparent yet organic quality to your tone, though the format isn't quite as advantageous as a regular stomp pedal.
  4. Khronic

Khronic Richard J. Naimish

+1 to the ART tube MP. I have one but prefer the ART Tube Channel pre/comp./eq. Three tubes and more tonal variety than you'll be able to use.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    +1 on the WIIO and the barbershop. IMO, the runoffgroove ginger is another good one for that.
  7. DJJazzV

DJJazzV That's impossible! They're on instruments! Supporting Member

Here's a different approach:
    Markbass Compressore>REDDI
  8. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

I have a Demeter Comp that i LOVE, and I don't have the cash for a REDDI. Besides, when i run my rig at all my other gigs, i love the DI sound from the head, so a REDDI just for this one gig is a bit of overkill. But thanks!
  9. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Not cheap either, but in a similar league to the REDDI is the Jule Monique.

On the cheap though, VT Bass. It can be set clean and reasonably flat with just a touch of tubeyness if you so desire.
  10. yaksonator

yaksonator Supporting Member

Maybe... look into myco three pedal. Can be run as a clean tube preamp or obviously an overdrive. Its pretty transparent for me. I use a pbass passive. Its pricey too though.
  11. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

So far I'm leaning towards the WIIO.
    Remember, I need not just "clean" but also "transparent". I don't want the BL to know that I'm using a pedal until it's too late. ;)

btw, Johnk_10, i LOVE your site!! Now i know where to come when I'm looking for overdrive ideas!!
    any chance you might sell one or two of your clones? :D
  12. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Just an update for the curious:
    I snagged a WIIO off the 'Bay and I'm expecting it this week or next. I'll spend some time with it at my friend's studio to dial it in before I use it on the gig.
    I'll let you know how it goes!
  13. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    congrats. I think that you'll love the WIIO.
  14. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Last update: my WIIO came in yesterday. It's an older model, but which version i'm not sure.
    I plugged it in before practice today, and i gotta say, she's clean and warm! Driving into my Orange TB500 it added some grit and grind and maybe a hair of clarity, but didn't change the overall tone too much. Pretty much perfect, i'd say. I kept the gain at 9 and master at noon, which gave me unity volume.

Then, a brilliant idea: considering how much volume is on tap in the pedal, maybe i could use it to drive the power section of my amp?
    Yes, yes i could.
    And i did.
    It was killer! Nice Hiwatt grind blasting at me!!
    I think i like this pedal, even in line to my amp. I think it's a keeper.
    Thanks for the help, folks!!