1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Cleaning an amp - 700rbii

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by RHCP250, Dec 24, 2013.

1. RHCP250

RHCP250 Supporting Member

Hey guys, I've got an odd sound coming from my rig.

While playing there is a crackly/fuzzy sound in the background of each note played. I tried replacing the battery in my bass and running it passive, that didn't eliminate the problem so it's from my rig.

It's a pretty subtle sound; I can clearly hear my bass through the rig, and there is some sort of buzz coming through "behind" the notes.

I don't believe my speakers are blown, as the fundamental is healthy sounding. My cab is a mesa PH210, it's rated at 600 watts @ 8ohms. I push the amp pretty hard at its 280 watt 8 ohm output, with a flat eq in standard tuning. Should be fine in that regard.

My hypothesis is that there must be a ton of dust built up in the amp or the contacts in the jacks are dirty. I'm not afraid to pop the top off and clean it all out, but I'd like to know how you guys go about doing this.

One of those keyboard cleaner aerosol cans? Q-tips? Scotchbrite? Any help would be great!

Thanks
    Shane
  2. WingKL

WingKL

Try running a patch cable between the effect send and return. That usually fixes the common problem of corrosion in the jacks. Other than that, you'd probably have go in and reseat connectors and use contact cleaner on the jacks.
  3. RHCP250

No dice on the patch cable solving the problem.

What kind of work goes into reseating the connectors and using that contact cleaner?
  4. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

There are interconnect cables that plug into the boards to connect one to the other. But it sounds like a power amp bias issue more than anything if the effects loop patching didn't work. Not hard or expensive to have an amp tech correct.
  5. orangejulius3

orangejulius3 Supporting Member

B-string and Chef were both helpful in my situation.
    DeOxit worked really well with both my 400RB and 800RB if you decide to get a can.
  6. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Did you try a different cable?
  7. Blankandson

Blankandson

Have you contacted the company? Do that first. Really. Someone there will give you simple instructions on what works best for their product. I called Baldwin a few years ago and got a really nice person who gave me cleaning instructions, then emailed them to me a few minutes later. They probably do know best.
  8. RHCP250

I think I've eliminated the power section of the amp as the source of the problem. Plugged my VT bass pedal into the effect return, the result being clean notes through the speaker with no "background" distortion. This leads me to believe that my problem is coming from the preamp section.

Contact cleaner on the pots should be my solution?
  9. RHCP250

Also, I emailed GK, haven't heard back yet. Probably a delay cause of the holiday, no biggie. Seems like a fixable issue w/o sending it anywhere.
  10. orangejulius3

orangejulius3 Supporting Member

Could be your solution.
    I used DeOxit on the pots and jacks.
    I used Q-tips for the jacks.
    I also did this to the pots on my bass since I had everything out.
  11. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Could be a bad cable, bad jack, bad or dirty pots, etc.
  12. dirtyoldpunker

dirtyoldpunker

Time to replace the filter caps.