1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Cleaning Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass V in 3-color sunburst

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Nikus, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Nikus

Nikus Supporting Member

Hello everyone,

I tried searching the forums but found no exact answer. A week ago I purchased a 2013 Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass V in 3-color sunburst with rosewood fretboard.

The question I have is:

What kind of cleaning product should I use to clean the bass?

There are some solutions on the market such as Dunlop kit, Fender CS kit. What would you recommend that I use on these parts and why?

Thank so much for any help.

2. P Town

P Town Guest

What type of finish?

Nitro can be cleaned with naptha, (lighter fluid). Do not use alcohol on nitro!

Polyurethane is impervious to most cleaning chemicals.

Lemon oil for the rosewood.

3. Nikus

Nikus Supporting Member

Fender states the finish is Urethane.

4. P Town

P Town Guest

Urethane is so durable, that you could use just about any non-abrasive cleaning product. Long term use of anything with petroleum distillates is not a good idea, but you could use a mild solvent, (no acetone) for occasional spot cleaning. A dry, (or damp) rag once in a while should do it once you have performed an initial cleaning.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Rocky McDougall

Rocky McDougall

Basically the finish on the Fender is the same as newer cars. Any auto cleaner/polish/wax is safe to use. If you never let it get very dirty, you can use the detail products that come in a spray bottle. Use a very soft cloth any try to confine the cleaner to just the finish on the body.

7. gumtown

gumtown Supporting Member

I give mine a clean with a soft cloth and general purpose cleaner in a trigger bottle.
    Easier to do it when the strings get changed too.
    Mine's olympic white, and it shows up the dust and crud easily.

8. bassbenj

bassbenj

Any of the guitar polish kits should work well to shine up a 2013 bass. It should only need a nice D&C (dustin' and cleanin') with a microfiber cloth and one of those standard guitar wax kits. I'd also get some fingerboard treatment like "Fret Doctor" to be applied after I cleaned all the finger mung off the rosewood with pure lemon oil.

Now for a seriously dirtied used bass a bit more is required. (Which I don't think a 2013 needs)

You need to disassemble ALL of it. pickups, bridge, control plate, you name it has to come loose so you can clean under the edges.

I use rubbing alcohol to clean finishes to get serious crap off and then usual guitar polishes after. Key is taking it apart to get under edges.

All metal parts are cleaned with Dow "scrubbing bubbles" bathroom cleaner. A bridge, for example needs to be taken off and TOTALLY disassembles including all screws removed. Dow cleaner will work to remove serious mung from Poly finish but NEVER use water on bare wood. The Dow cleaner is rinsed off with water and then distilled water. For serious cases of rust on chrome use Auto chrome cleaner.

Let everything sit overnight until dry before putting back screws etc.

Polish wood before reassembly. And put it back together. Will look like a million.

Caution! Rubbing alcohol is a pretty mild solvent but DO NOT use it on nitro and it also may take the gold lettering off your pickups!

9. Nikus

Nikus Supporting Member

10. bassbenj

bassbenj

Yup. Looks good. Get the combo with the micro-fiber cloth. It's basically the same as I've been using which is an Ernie Ball polish kit. Any of these are good and seem to work well.

11. Nikus

Nikus Supporting Member

Perfect! Just got it at the local GC as they had the best price on the kit.

Thank you all for your help.

12. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Whatever you do, do not use water on the rosewood fretboard. It will dry out. I am one of the guys who occasionally uses lemon oil on his rosewood. I also like the Ernie Ball Wonder Wipes for the body or some Dunlop No.65.

13. Nikus

Nikus Supporting Member

One more thing; there is a guy on YouTube (supposedly a long time guitar pro tech) saying Lemon Oil is a conditioner not a cleaner. He suggests to use cotton swabs to clean and then Lemon Oil to condition the rosewood fretboard.

What do you all think about that? Is that a good suggestion?

14. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Odd, I've been using warm water, a soft cloth, and occasionally a soft toothbrush on my rosewood FB's for over 20 years and have never dried one out.

Granted, I don't wet the board down, I just use a slightly dampened rag and wipe up the crud. If the mung is too heavy for that I'll scrub it lightly with a toothbrush then wipe it with the damp cloth.

Also, I've never had occasion to need anything like a conditioner, or rehydrater on any of my RW boards either.