Cleaning knobs/pots?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Boombass76, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Boombass76

Boombass76

I just got a great Yamaha TRB5-II bass (http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=687561)

The only issue is that the center click on the knobs is almost gone - you can hardly feel it. The temporary solution was to put on some small stripes of white tape and small 'dots', so I got a visual representation of the knob's positions.

It seems like I can't just swop the pots as they are integrated on the preamp's printboard...

So, does any of you have an idea whether the posts can simply be cleaned up in some way to regain a center click that you can actually feel properly?

I am a technical imbecile, so I don't even know how to get the print board out of the bass, but I guess that's possible somehow...

Well, any kind of feedback is welcome, and it is not crucial for me to get it fixed as the tape solution works out OK, but it would be nice to have it fixed and remove the tape - it doesn't look that great.
  2. Snipper!

Snipper! Guest

The detent is more a mechanical aspect of the pot's so contact cleaner may not be any good, tricky one, I can only think of replacing them really.
  3. dj5

dj5

Someone who knows what they're doing should be able to change out that pot for you quite easily - it may be fixed to the board, but it should still be removable/replacable.
  4. carlos840

carlos840

Maybe its normal, i have a yamaha TRB 6II and the pots detent is really really week, its not like a good "click" its really suttle...
    And my bass (original pots) has white lines on the pots from stock.
  5. Boombass76

Boombass76

Hm... I suppose I could also just replace the knobs with someone with lines on them. That would be an easy solution - but it'd look better :)
  6. mech

mech

IME the feel of the center detents can vary a bunch even within the same brand and manufacturing lot. Replacement pots may feel better or worse.

If you want to put markers on the knobs, drill a small, shallow dimple on the knobs and fill with paint with a toothpick.

mech
  7. Boombass76

Boombass76

Oh, actually, there are already small, shallow dimples on the knobs, so I might just fill them with a dot of paint. Thanks. I will definitely consider that :)
  8. MglMatador

MglMatador

You could also desolder the pots, then buy new ones with a center detent. Then run three wires from the new pot to the three holes in the PCB.
  9. mech

mech

Wipe the knobs down well with alcohol to de-grease them and scratch up the bottom of the dimple so the paint will have a better chance of sticking.

mech