Cleaning question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Gorn Captain, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

I'm not sure if it's entirely visible in the picture, but there's what feels like glue residue on the body that I found after removing the pickguard. I've tried vigorously wiping it away with a damp paper towel which really didn't do anything. I'm guessing that anything too abrasive would screw up the finish. Any suggestions as to what would get it off without damaging anything? Thanks
    [​IMG]
  2. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Products like "Goo Gone" and "Goof Off" or even "Krud Kutter" will do the trick. Follow instructions. :)
  3. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sticky residue, aka schmutz, requires a solvent. When water on a damp cloth doesn't work, try soapy water.

If fails, naphtha is the solvent of choice. It can be found at the the large home center on the four lane or at the local hardware store. Failing that, lighter fluid. Pretty much the same stuff. Mineral spirits will do in a pinch.

Use the same protocol, solvent on a dampen cloth. When clean, follow with water dampened cloth and polish of your choice if you like wax on your instrument.
  4. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Media:
    Albums:
    I have good experiences in removing glue stain like that with eucalyptus oil. few drops on a cotton, rub, Safe and clean
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Gorn Captain

I appreciate the responses gentleman.
  7. Gorn Captain

I got goo gone and it worked great for the most part but there's some stubborn bits of gunk left. What can I use that's more abrasive than the rough side of a sponge and won't damage the finish?
  8. Turnaround

Turnaround

Disclosures:
    Bass Technician, Club Bass - Toronto
    It's truly amazing the advice given to deal with a bit of gunk on a modern finish. You'd think that you might damage the finish somehow with anything stronger than dishwashing liquid. At the same time there are those who really want to strip and refinish their bass, and the harshest paint stripper they can get does nothing to the finish at all.
  9. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

I second Naptha, with the gentle use of a scotchbright pad.
  10. iiipopes

iiipopes

11. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

I suppose it depends on what the stuff actually is. One simple thing you might try is a little dab of vegetable oil -- right out of your kitchen cupboard -- which works great for removing residue from stickers.