1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Cleaning Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Steveman, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Steveman

Steveman

Hey I just have a quick question... For 10 years I've been cleaning my bass / strings with water / cotton wipes. Now that I have a new (nice) bass, I was wondering if this can potentially damage anything such as the neck (maple shaft with ebony fretboard). I'm not concerned about the strings but I am concerned about the woods. I completely dry the bass / strings immediately with cotton wipes.
  2. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

I find wiping it down with a microfiber towel to be enough. If that's not enough, a damp - not wet- wipe down followed by the microfiber
  3. xucaen

xucaen

Here's a video of a guy who completely takes apart his Fender P Bass and cleans it. He has other videos about cleaning, too. http://youtu.be/1BGg79AsPR4
  4. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

Just use Fast Fret every time you finish playing it, then when you change strings give it a more thorough cleaning if necessary. I have found that not only does Fast Fret increase string life, it helps keep your fingerboard clean as well. No silicone in it. Works great.
  5. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

If you have a gloss finish - a little Lemon Pledge!! This is good for the shiny finish, chrome and plastic and doesn't build up. Seriously. You want to remove the finger acids.
  6. xucaen

xucaen

I heard anything with lemon in it will eat through the lacquer.
  7. Solarmist

Solarmist 15 miles from Mt Rainier Supporting Member

I use a soft cotton cloth dampened with water, and just a touch of Dawn dish washing soap where the fingerprints are - then rinse cloth, squeeze, and wipe again. I use a microfiber cloth for the times in between. I never use any furniture polish or any gunk that will build up.
  8. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Disclosures:
    GHS Strings, HipShot Products, Pick Guy custom picks
    A clean piece of flannel does the job, if you use it regularly. Every once in a while, I'll use some Dunlop 65 cleaning polish on the hardware and all.
  9. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

NEVER Lemon Pledge!!!! Please!!! Never!!!
  10. ShowLow

ShowLow Don't want no treble. Supporting Member

Virtuoso cleaner and polish...safe for even nitro finishes. Microfiber cloth.

And just got hip to Fast Fret. Really helps keep the strings nice, especially TIs and Chromes. Seems La Bella flats take care of themselves, no special gunk required.