1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Cleaning the neck of a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Chifilis, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Chifilis

Chifilis

Hello everyone

I have an Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass and I don't know what to use to clean the neck, I have Ernie Ball guitar polish but I suppose is only for the body and also someone recommended to me lighter fluid but I'm not sure if it works for my bass

[​IMG]

2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Use the guitar polish. Lighter fluid is for...well...lighters. The maple neck on there is probably poly or nitro or some such that the guitar polish is what should be used.

No need to go exotic. Normal care with electric instrument related care products.

P.S. cool lookin' bass.

3. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man.

Lighter fluid is great for stubborn finger funk. I'm sure you'll find that it was discovered well before lighters were invented. Nitro hasn't been used for years in mass produced instruments. Your Squier is poly finished. You can safely use windex on it if you want. Warm water. Deionized water. Whatever, any mild detergent just dry well after. Then polish as desired. Modern poly coatings are extremely durable and impervious.

4. Batmensch

Batmensch

Finish on VM necks is a satin poly-urethane. Any cleaner you could use on a poly finish would be OK. Just be wary of polishes that might gloss up the satin a bit.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Turnaround

Turnaround

Disclosures:
    Bass Technician, Club Bass - Toronto
    If you like a satin finish, never use a polish. For that matter, never use a polish to clean something. Use a cleaner. Then, if you want, use a polish to put a shine on it.

7. audioglenn

audioglenn Gold Supporting Member

Great bass! I have seven of this exact bass and have used lighter fluid to clean ALL of the necks and have had no problems. I've also used lighter fluid on all of my other necks without any adverse reactions.