Clear coating for fret boards?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by lovethegrowl, Dec 25, 2013.

1. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

I am just about to turn over my Squire DAJV bass to my tech for the conversion to 6 strings, with an optimal spacing of 16mm @ the bridge.

What I think would be even better is a neck radius of 16" rather than 12". Might be too costly to refret the instrument.

In the event that I do refret it I would have to coat, finish, protect the fretboard (& even the frets) from stainless steel strings. The appearance of the fretboard is what I always wanted, ebanol, no fret inlays facing the front, nice glossy (maybe semi- glossy) finish.

I don't want to tear up the fretboard w/my Fatbeams in the first place. I hear the existing Fender finish is polyester, not even polyurethane. I heard Jaco put marine varnish on his fretboard (mine will remain fretted, of coarse). My experience with the present day "environmentally friendly" varnishes is that they're gummier than ever, leaving streaks & bubbles. I seriously doubt they can be sprayed on, but wouldn't it he nice if it could. If I do refret it, what's the best way to for it?
  2. manolo578

manolo578

bumping this because I need info on it too
  3. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

For maple, lacquer. For rosewood or ebony? Nothing, or some oil maybe.