1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Cleartone Bass strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Toneman, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Toneman

Toneman

Not a big fan of coated strings but thinking about giving Cleartones a try after my friend who works in a music store recommended them. Would like opinions before I drop the $35.
  2. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

I saw a kid buy a set of these for guitar today, are they a direct comparison to elixers? The kid didn't really know much about them, neither did the schmoe behind the counter.
  3. Ampeg SVT

Ampeg SVT Son, I am disappoint.

Someone posted a thread and said they were horrid
  4. DrSmaggs

DrSmaggs

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:
    I agree... They are very coarse and the do not sound nice at all. I'm very disappointed. They are also VERY EXPENSIVE. It was like 15 bucks just for the B String.

The sales guy at GC recommended them, saying they were "super awesome" and much more comfortable and sounded better than elixirs.

I think not. I'm frustrated to no end, because these strings are the exact opposite of what I expected.

They went too far with the "feels like an uncoated string" statement. These strings could be used as a cheese grater and they don't sound consistent across the board at all. The E string sounds like a ten year old dead string and the B string is "okay" at best for a brand new string.

I think sales guys are just told to sell them.

I'm worried that there's a no return policy on strings and these suckers cost me about $60 at guitar center here in Scottsdale, AZ.

I will be sure to let you all know how this transaction goes. I feel I should be refunded the difference and set up with a new pack of Elixirs... which is what I went to GC to get in the first place, but a sales guy in accessories insisted that I use the Cleartones.

It would be one thing if these puppies were just sandpapery, but they just don't even go together sonically. Maybe I got a bad set?

End rant.

See you all soon!
  5. Volume4

Volume4

Different method than Elixirs

I have no experience with either of those brands bass strings, but I HATED Elixir acoustic guitar strings (yet they are supposedly the top selling acoustic string on the planet)

The Cleartones were better but nowhere near worth the price tag imho.

The D'addario EXP's were the best "treated strings" I ever used and reasonably priced. It's a pretty well believed rumor that Elixirs are made by D'addario and coated by Elixir, I can't comfirm that though.

Anyway, I hope this helps a little...even though I'm kinda comparing apples and oranges.
  6. pjmuck

pjmuck

Another non-fan here. I'd been playing Elixirs for a while and the Cleartones were cheaper so I thought I'd give them a try. Dead and lifeless, with no tonal spectrum or dynamics at all.
  7. Craig_S

Craig_S

I liked Cleartone for a while, but they don't last long enough to justify the extra cost. They definitely don't feel like Elixir's. They feel more like a set of stainless strings, to me. I won't buy them again. I won't buy Elixir's again, either. I'm really digging the Dunlop nickel strings, now. My Jazz Bass loves 'em.
  8. CapnSev

CapnSev Supporting Member

One word: clank.
  9. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass Supporting Member

Haven't tried EXP Bass strings but their acoustic strings are decent for coated. I hate Elixers tone and feel. My favorite round wound bass string is DR Silver stars thin coated strings and for flats it is TI Jazz Flats (not coated of course)
  10. LoveThatBass

I just got a new ESP LTD B-5E bass that came with Cleartone Coated strings. Hearing the negatives above I ordered DR Silverstars to put on it but I was pleasently surprised. They sound good (at least on this bass). Nice and clear, good low end and smoother articulate highs and have that piano like tone (not dead and lifeless as others reported). Scratching head concerning their comments as I had dead and lifeless (Elixers were that way for me). They feel good and very balanced string to string.
  11. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

12. LoveThatBass

13. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

Send a message to slapinfunk. TBers get a discount.
  14. LoveThatBass

Thanks! Also noticed you can build your own set from several popular brands :hyper:
  15. xbud

xbud Supporting Member

I am not a fan of the Cleartones, probably one of the worst string purchases I ever made. I noticed that Guitar Center doesn't push them on the customer as much as they used to.
  16. LoveThatBass

Have you or anyone else ever tried DR Silver Stars/Black Beauties etc. (their coated strings with different color coatings) I like Silver Stars but would like others opinions so I can compare ...I cannot stand Elixers

I have D'Addario EXP Phospher Bronze strings on a 6 string guitar and like them somewhat. Maybe I will try their bass strings.
  17. LoveThatBass

Volume4, can you give me a sonic description of how the EXP's are compared to Cleartones please?
    Thanks
  18. 1dreday

1dreday Supporting Member

+1 for cleartones, i loved them so much, i bought 10 sets to stockup
  19. LoveThatBass

Where did you find the best deal?
  20. therhodeo

therhodeo

I noticed that the guys at GC were pushing them the last time I was in there. As far as I'm concerned if you're anything but a beginner and walk into GC and take their word for anything then you're asking for disappointment.