1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Cleartone strings... yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by dreads311, Sep 25, 2012.

1. dreads311

dreads311

Title should say it all. Just discovered them at guitar center. They swear by them, but I've never met anyone who plays them. Your thoughts, please?

2. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

3. iamjustin

iamjustin

i've played them, pretty solid strings, nothing crazy good about them, but nothing bad to say at all.
    right now at my store the strings are clearance'd out to $16, and that is a great deal, the strings do last a long time and dont sound bad

4. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dreads311

dreads311

Thank you both. Very insightful!

7. SLaPiNFuNK

Disclosures:
    To clear up any confusion. Cleartones do not cause the problems described in the linked article.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I used Elixirs for a little while last year and never had that problem.

9. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much Supporting Member

Just wondering, on reading the article, whether that's down to your electronics? If it's an EMG-equipped bass, I think I'm right in thinking that there's no ground wire required, so in theory you could happily play any of the 'offending' coated strings with no hum problem.

But, in general, I'm clueless - so that could be completely wrong. It made sense in my head.

10. hachi kid

hachi kid

I've been using Elixirs for a while, and I don't have any problems like that. that being said, I used Cleartones, and they lasted about as long as the Rotosounds I used to use. didn't like how quickly they died. I use Elixirs, and only have to change my strings twice a year while they keep their new brightness. I only use fingers, though. if I use a pick, the life of the strings go down pretty quick.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The bass I had them on has DiMarzio Model PJ's and needs a ground wire.

12. Abner

Abner

From the above-linked article:

I cannot stress enough how wrong this is. Why does this rumour persist? When you touch your strings or bridge, you are grounding yourself via your amp. (Or at least to the common of your amp, how well that is grounded is a different topic.)

People who do not understand electronics should not be disseminating potentially dangerous advice.

-Alex

13. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

That's... part of the reason why I linked it in this thread. lol.

14. SLaPiNFuNK

Disclosures:
    oh. I read it the other way...

Going back in my cave....

15. fuzzychaos

fuzzychaos

I use DR coated and have never experienced any grounding issues...never tried Clear Tone, but they are fairly cheap, may give them a whirl.

16. philvanv

philvanv Gerbil Turds, Kitsap County Turd Core

Disclosures:
    and at the bottom it says thank you, and now you can **** off
    this is an old thread but, I have been using the Cleartone med for about a month or so. I've used D'Addario super light nickel wound for approx 20 yrs, give or take. I started off hating the cleartones, I think because of the difference in gauge. Now that I'm used to them, I swear they feel smooth and I put minimal effort into my fingers, they just sound, in my opinion real, solid, I guess is how I'd describe them, and worth the cost if they are going to last as long as they are supposed too. I emailed the Cleartone Co and received all kinds of information and some cool videos. Anyway, I just thought I'd put my two cents in as I've been reading several of the posts in the "strings" threads