1. A Supporting membership is required to post items for sale in the classifieds

2. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.
  3. Please Read:Classifieds Rules, Usage Agreement, and FAQ for info on bumping, marking SOLD, and more.

Clement #181 FS; Fretless 5

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by neobassman, Mar 23, 2014.

1. neobassman

neobassman Supporting Member

I have decided to sell my beloved Tom Clement bass, #181. It has a redwood burl top, mahogany body, bolt-on neck, P-J pickups in a Bartolini 18V setup. This is a fretless 5-string bass with inlaid fret markers. All the hardware is black. This bass will come with a high quality SKB case. Everything is in excellent condition - I have babied this instrument. You can see this instrument on Tom's site at: http://www.clementbass.com/web/Gall...rip/1/Default.aspx?path=moderndouble/bass 181

$1500 shipped CONUS.

Here is what I posted in December 2009 when it arrived from Tom:

"#181 arrived today in fine shape. I'm in love. First impressions: it's visually beautiful. the redwood top just glows, and the black hardware sets it off nicely. The build quality is really high - it was clearly made by a thoughtful craftsman. The neck is incredibly comfortable, even for a 5. It has almost no taper from 12th to 1st fret which took me a couple minutes to get used to - not a problem just different. It's comfortable around the neck and sitting (better than a J body), not heavy at all (will weigh it and report back).

Tom, the action is unbelievably low. It really threw me at first; I'm used to digging in. This bass as set up requires a light touch. However, now that I'm getting used to it, it just may spoil me for my other basses! It is almost a revelation how fast and easy this thing is to play, and the action is flawless from fret 1 to fret 24.

For tone, it has mwaaaaah that just won't quit. With the bridge (J) pickup, it just crys and develops a note for a few seconds, like wmaaaaooouuww, like Jaco was playing a fretted P-Bass by comparison. I have a PJ setup; the split P pickup at the neck is not really very P-like. It also has a growly mwah that I'm really going to have to figure out how to use to good effect. I can't see this bass standing in for a P-bass at all - it's got too distinct and unique a tone of its own. The sustain is incredible, especially for a fretless - I actually had to check to make sure I didn't have my compressor pedal on. I think the mahogany body has something to do with this? Absolutely Sick. The output was a bit low for my tastes but I tweaked the pickup heights and preamp trimmer which brought it more in line with my own preferences.

Thanks, Tom, it is a great sounding and looking instrument."

Attached Files:

2. drumsnbass

drumsnbass Bassic User Supporting Member

34 or 35"?

I take it 24 frets says 34 but just in case...

BTW, looked it up on the site and this is what it says...

18-34-5 Kim.
    Mahogany body with Redwood top.
    Mahogany and Maple neck.
    Macassar Ebony lined fingerboard.
    Bart P-J set and 4.2 A/P Active system

3. neobassman

24 fret markers (it's fretless), 34" scale, 1 7/8" at the nut. Thanks for your interest.

4. atom1962

atom1962 Supporting Member

whats the weight?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. neobassman

My bathroom scale says 8.5 pounds for this Clement. For comparison, my MM Stingray 5 HH weighs 10.0 pounds and is more neck-heavy. I guess those frets weigh alot!

David
    :cool:

7. Hotblack

Hotblack Pay the cost to be the boss. Supporting Member

Free bump for a really nice bass.

8. Kevin Woods

Kevin Woods Supporting Member

Looks like another home run from Mr. Clement.

I'd love to swing a way to get one of these TC fretless basses that have come up, but I need some more lights for my video setup....whaaaaaaa!

Cheers.

9. tmoney61092

tmoney61092

10. neobassman

(Bump) if you don't like my price, make me a reasonable offer. Sorry, I need the cash so no trades.

11. neobassman

12. kesslari

kesslari Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    That is a beautiful instrument. Bump!

13. neobassman

kesslari,

Love the Klezmer on YouTube!!!

14. kesslari

kesslari Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Thank you and re-bump!

15. piercer

piercer

String spacing?

16. neobassman

I'll need to check tonight when I'm home and will post.

David

17. neobassman

It's about 10-11 mm at the nut, or 13/32". That's measured center of string to center of string, which I believe is the typical way to measure. David

18. xabicho

xabicho Supporting Member

String spacing at the bridge?

19. neobassman

11/16" or about 18 mm at the bridge. This appears to be adjustable at the bridge a couple mm either way. Thanks for looking!

20. neobassman

(Bump) A recent inquiry prompted me to bump this old posting - still available. Priority would go to a current inquiry, but if that does not pan out this great fretless instrument is still available Mmwwwaaaaa.....

David