1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Cleveland in Boston?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by SWBass, Jan 8, 2013.

1. SWBass

SWBass

I've heard great things about the Cleveland hybrid bass but I haven't been able to find one to play around the Boston area? Does anyone know of anyone selling a Cleveland Hybrid bass or is there anyone that could let me play just to see how it sounds?

2. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

3. SWBass

SWBass

I tried Upton and they don't have any at this time.

4. mdcbass

mdcbass Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

Where are you located?

7. calypsocoral302

calypsocoral302

These look pretty sweet, in my opinion. Just a quick question that I can't seem to find on either theirs, or Upton's, websites-- are they flatback, or roundback?

8. Freddels

9. mjt0229

mjt0229

Er, you must be confused. Cleveland is in Ohio.

10. Freddels

But not the good one. :)

11. Eric Rene Roy

Eric Rene Roy Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Vice President: Upton Bass String Instrument Co.
    Most are round...some rare ones come flat...

12. Freddels

I thought only the fully carved ones were available as a flatback. I remember seeing a few pics of a flatback version a few years back.

13. Eric Rene Roy

Eric Rene Roy Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Vice President: Upton Bass String Instrument Co.
    We just set up a flat back hybrid. There are a few NS basses I never knew existed until we started working with Wil & Arnold. Like a 7/8 poplar hybrid Lascala we just setup...where is that bass on the NS website? We'll be putting it up soon, that's for sure...

14. calypsocoral302

calypsocoral302

I have kind of a weird preconception or preference regarding my basses-- if they're Gamba-cornered, I like the flat back (that new Czech-style bass at Upton interests me greatly). If they're violin-cornered, I prefer the round back. When it comes to Busetto's, I don't really care either way. I don't know if it's a preconception based on tradition, or what, although I'll mention that my current bass, a 1949 Kay, is Gamba-cornered, with a round back (albeit a rather shallow one). :shrug:

When I get a little more money saved up, I'd definitely like to sell my Kay, and try a solid carved bass. While there are still PLENTY of good used examples out there, now is a great time to take a look at a new make instrument. Between the New Standards, the Christophers, the Shens, the String Emporium basses, and the more basic Upton models, there is more choice for amateur bassists like me (who aren't able to use their full-time job as justification for a sweet instrument) than ever before. I'd kinda like to take advantage of that fact in the not-too-distant future.

15. Freddels

Interesting! I think over the years, that if you wanted to open up your wallet enough, Wil and Arnold were willing to customize to your heart's desire.

16. billmac

billmac

I have a NS Cleveland Hybrid and live in the Boston area (W.Medford). It was made in 2003.

17. Dave Irwin

Dave Irwin

Play an Upton Brescian while you're at it. IMO, it goes after the same objective.