clicky warwick

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by evil_nick, Sep 5, 2013.

1. evil_nick

evil_nick

I have a 4 string warwick that has always made an awful clicking noise when playing. I originally bought it for slapping because it sounded so damn good doing that but its almost awful for anything else.

I brought it to a guy to be worked on a while ago to have the strings replaced, be reintonated, and have the action lowered but when I got it back the action was still the same. When I asked him about it he just said he couldnt or didnt want to lower it to much. I have an Ibanez edb600 that has super low actin and I love it.

Is it possible he was just lazy and didnt want to work on the action or his is saying it couldnt be lowered further possible?

I think with a lower action I wont be hitting the stings so hard casuing them to click on the end of the fret board, but its only my assumption.
    thanks
  2. IncX

IncX

some warwicks are very trebly, and if you hit them hard, they would make awful clicking noises (more apparent in recordings).

i suggest you attack the strings not as hard, and play near the bridge.

live, you can get away with it, by cutting the treble in both amps and the preamp
  3. evil_nick

evil_nick

damn.
    I notice it more on some notes than others of course.
    Even just finger playing I get an awful click.

Was thinking of trading it out but I do like its normal sound.
  4. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

This makes me think it could be a fret issue. Does it sound like fret noise or something in the electronics? It could be the action, neck relief, raised frets...
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

What model Warwick are we talking about here? Is it active? Where to do have the controls on it set?

Did he give you a valid reason of why it couldn't be lowered?
  7. Turxile

Turxile

Perhaps you can post a sound sample of the clicking.

My Warwick Dolphin has ridiculously low action, I normally play it 1.25mm E to 1mm C (strung E-C obviously), but for a while I had it at 1mm E to 0.75mm C.
    The important part for low action is the relief.. What's the relief on yours?
  8. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Lower the pickups. Perhaps the strings are hitting the pickups?
  9. svlilioukalani

svlilioukalani

When I play on a bass with ultra low action. My basses set up for slapping. And I dig in too hard playing finger style. I will get a clicking sound. The 2 answers would be; raise the action, or play with a lighter touch.
  10. svlilioukalani

svlilioukalani

Pickups that are too high also do this. Good luck.
  11. 77PBass

77PBass Supporting Member

+1