1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Clip-On Tuners --- best and cheapest

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JimmyM, Jan 14, 2013.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Don't usually need a clip-on tuner but I'm realizing the benefits of one on gigs where I only bring one bass such as my fly gigs and don't want to use a pedal or unplug during a show anymore. OK, here's what I need out of a clip-on tuner:

1. Fairly quick tracking

2. Ability to work while someone is talking between songs without getting messed with...doesn't need to work while the drummer is soundchecking the bass drum in his monitor, but needs to work while Bowzer is yelling at the crowd

3. Standard 4 and 5 string bass tuning...chromatic would be nice, but I'm willing to trade price for functionality

4. Doesn't need to be the most rugged tuner ever but should be able to hold up to moderate roadwork

5. As low a price as possible...talking the sub-$20 range

Here's my thing about tuners...it does not make me feel good to have the most awesome tuner in the world if it costs me more money. If a tuner costs $5 and does what I need, I'm there. I just got a Korg Pitchjack for $10 total that does what I need and works great. Only problem with it is the unplugging.

And anyone who says "do a search" will be subject to intense ridicule.
  2. XXL

XXL Custom User Title Supporting Member

I got a Snark for 20 bucks. Tracks well on a 4 string, don't know about a 5 string though, doesn't seem to be bothered by any another instrument, voice or drums while tuning.
  3. fkh006

fkh006

4. kreider204

kreider204 Supporting Member

Snark SN-8. Works well on electric and upright. Put a small piece of electrical tape over the tiny mic on its face to keep extraneous noise out. Buy it from Amazon for $12.

'Nuff said.
  5. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

6. carl h.

carl h.

Snark
    [​IMG]
    Und dat is all you need to know!
  7. brumshine

brumshine

My snark works great on my 5'er, I do have to tune using harmonics tho. If you do that the 12 dollar one will work great. I ordered 2 off amazon because you never know when it is going to run outta batteries or get snapped.

BRUMSHINE
  8. rhino333

rhino333 Supporting Member

I've used Snarks, Intellitouch, Fishman and Planet Waves clip on tuners. The Snark tracks the best, but I found it fragile. I'm using Planet Waves NS Mini on all my instruments now. It is a little dicey getting the low B (I use a harmonic), but it's sturdy.
  9. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

I agree with Baron von Raschke..
  10. Peepaleep

Peepaleep Supporting Member

11. Tele295

Tele295

12. funkybass

funkybass

Snark. And buy it on amazon, They are much cheaper.
  13. HereIGoAgain

HereIGoAgain

I have a snark, but it does have its limits. It's accurate enough to "get you in the ballpark," but I wouldn't expect to tune up with it and then lay down tracks.

From what I've read, the Gogo tuner is much more accurate. However, I have read about reliability issues with them.
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, Baron Von Raschke's famous finishing submission hold The Claw carries a lot of weight with me.

Thank you all for your suggestions...I looked at all of them plus a few more. I think I'll go with the Snark SN-8. I can get it in black, I can get it pretty cheap, and while the Planet Waves tuner looked very cool, it looks like more trouble to mess with during a gig than I'd like to deal with, and I don't like the look of clamped on tuners mounted the whole gig.
  15. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

16. falconspatriots

falconspatriots Oh Word Supporting Member

I actually like the Delta labs tuner. The Snark is awesome but somewhat fragile. The Delta is a rock!!!
  17. WCHIII

WCHIII

Most accurate on the market hands down,
    Peterson strobe clip on. I've played bluegrass
    Acoustic for years and have tried them all.
  18. fdorn

fdorn Supporting Member

19. rodl2005

rodl2005

Same for me.
    Works great in noise, tracks very well, fast, accurate, low B "ok" I use the octave & that's as fast as the rest.
    Chromatic too :confused: ain't it?? Haven't tried actually:D
  20. Stumbo

Stumbo Supporting Member

Be careful with the aluminum neck.

It can be mounted with the tuner screen is displayed from in back of the headstock so it won't really be seen FOH.