1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Clipping my CA9 into a fEARful 15/6/1 - should i bridge the Crest?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Whump, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Whump

Whump

Hey all,

Been using a fEARful 15/6/1 for a little while now and digging it quite a bit, not as much brute power as my old Berg HT210/115 stack but a clearer 3-way type sound and still plenty of huevos.

My question pertains the feeding of this cab, wattage-wise. I gather that about 800watts is sort of the "standard" impression for what to give these. My CA9 is is 600W per channel into 8ohms, and bridged gives 1800W into 8ohms. Single-driver 15/6/1, so it's an 8-ohm box.

My rig is Lakland 55-01 (with Demeter preamp) -> Demeter VTBP-201 (blackface) -> Crest CA9 - fEARful 15/6/1. No effects or compression.

On many gigs, feeding the cab one side of the CA9 is great. Plenty of volume, lots of fidelity. Sometimes however, especially with some of the larger bands I'm working with (9-piece with horns + percussion type stuff) I find that I'm gassing out, clipping the Crest while still getting a bit lost. Not using extreme EQ settings, I run 3/7/3 on the Demeter and always start flat on the Lakland. I've thought about trying the CA9 bridged.. but this scares me. Lol.

Shouldn't the 600W from one side be more than adequate? Or should I man up and bridge the CA9 to manifest the doom which was intended? How do you fEARful 15/6/1 + Crest guys run your rigs?

(And yeah the true solution is a 15sub. But this would be a monster rig too big for the gigs in question. Thus my surprise at finding myself in this predicament.)
  2. rpsands

rpsands

I'd bridge it if you've got an HPF. Not sure I'd be comfortable using a 5'er without it.
  3. butcher

butcher

Have you tried getting things a little hotter into the Crest while maintaining your tone (thinking gain staging possibly). 600W into a 15/6/1 should be pretty adequate.

Then again, when you get a lot of other instruments that could be eating into your freq range on stage it can get harder to keep your place in the mix.

Ever try getting it up a little off the stage? I would try that and pushing the front end of your signal chain a bit more before bridging.
  4. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Applications Engineer, QSC Audio
    Is it clipping a lot? If the clipping is brief and infrequent, and you're getting the sound levels you want, I wouldn't worry about it.
  5. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

You could bridge the amp if you want to see the point where smoke comes from the speaker cab? Power alone is NOT the answer.
  6. dazmond

dazmond

I'm running 600 watts into my 15/6 and I'm a little bit scared to crank it. Gain is set to noon and eq pretty much flat. Volume around 6. It just gets SO loud already, I think to myself, how much more can this little thing possibly put out?
  7. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I don't have any experiences with the fEARful cabs, but I own a Bergantino HT210/HT115 cab setup and power it with a Crest CA9 Demeter HBP-1 preamp.

How was the Bergantino setup working out for you in the bigger piece bands?

I found my Bergs were awesome, but sometimes I felt I was being buried soundwise by the guitars and drums, especially in more rock oriented bands. For R&B, Modern Country type bands, the Bergs killed IMO.

I've never had my CA9 clip. I've always ran it in stereo mode, honestly, I'd be afraid to bridge it. IMO the CA9 pumps out some serious brute power.

I still have my Bergs, but I play heavier rock stuff now and I've switched over to a pair of Mesa PH212 total overkill setup.

I'll certainly be watching the advice you receive.
  8. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    IMO this is good advice to the OP. Also, as a fellow Demeter preamp user, I'm contemplating adding a VT pedal to my signal chain to add a bit of mild distortion to help cut through in denser mixes.
  9. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Not much, when you lay into a note you get the extra power regardless of the amp attenuator. You're probably just below clipping. Adding another 15 sub unleashes total room/stage domination / big pile of mud, depending on the size of the gig / PA / guitards.
  10. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    600 watts into 15/6/1 is nothing to fEAR ;-) I run a carvin B2000 into my 15/6/1 and that's 700 watts and I am never afraid to crank it, and I play with a pretty heavy Low B, and dig into it quiet often, and haven't made that can burp yet, and that's going on 2 years now, my former Goliath IV 410 couldn't take half of what I give the fEARful when it comes to the low notes..... I ab'd them side by side a few times. Don't let 600watts scare you off, that lil beast can take it.
  11. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

+1

I run a bridged ProLite 3.0 into my 1515/66. Use your ears and what is between them and you will be fine.
  12. johnpbass

johnpbass

That's a GREAT line CL400. Mind if I use that as my sig? LOL!
  13. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Have at it. :bassist:
  14. johnpbass

johnpbass

Thanks! Done!
    Sorry for the slight derail folks!
    Former Demeter/Crest user so I'm very interested to hear a solution on this.
  15. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

I fully agree. I've been using stereo power amps since the Eighties. I've never felt the need to bridge any of them.
  16. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Relax... Nothing Is Under Control. Supporting Member

I've put 1000w into my 15/6 on more than a few occasion without a problem.... backing off the 40hz about 1.5db.
  17. Foz

Foz

quit wondering... bridge it.
  18. Ronny49

Ronny49

I have been bridging for YEARS! Would never run any other way. You get more bottom end when you bridge. Why all the fear?? Stumps me...!! Bridging doesn't phase me one bit as long as you don't run more watts through your cab than it can handle. I would just turn your pwr amp up a 3rd the way and adjust your pre accordingly. If your speakers start to distort, simply turn it down a bit.
  19. majortoby

majortoby

I would probably accompany the bridging with a HPF. Bridging doubles or quadruples the voltage swing, making frying the speaker way more likely/easy.

It can probably take a stupid amount of power before giving up the ghost, but adding in a high pass would be one extra level of insurance when you're really tearing into it.

IMO :)
  20. edwinhurwitz

edwinhurwitz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, SMS, D-TAR
    I bridged my QSC CX1202v into a 15/6/1 for a while. I finally let the magic smoke out. It billowed out, actually. But that's 2000 watts into 8 ohms. It did sound glorious before it went. However, now I'm back to using just one side of the amp. At 700 watts, it's more than adequate.

BTW, it's sometimes hard to compare amps. For instance, while Carvin claims impressive power for the B2000, it's not specified at what bandwidth, frequency response or measurement technique. So, I'd be skeptical of getting what they claim at the low end. This is the kind of spec you want to see (as provided by QSC):

8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.1% THD 2200WRMS

But heck yeah, bridge the Crest!