1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Clips of Our Different Drummers

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by IncX, Mar 23, 2014.

1. IncX

IncX

we've gone through a lot of drummers ... and its kinda cool cause i just realized i have rehearsal clips of them, comparing their different skills and nuances. just for fun, i just want to know what your taste in drummers are, and which one you'd like to play with?

drummer 1: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...ls/paperview - put me down guide wd drums.mp3

drummer 2: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...3 cant put me down bass and drums take 02.mp3

drummer 3: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...ehearsals/janex cant put me down 11-07-13.mp3

now, those clips arent really perfect, and are taken live during rehearsal, a lot of them are off and are shaky (including my playing). i just want to know what you think of them based on their styles ...

2. WashburnAB95

WashburnAB95

Drummer 3 seemed to have the best overall feel and dosn't dominate the mix...

Drummer 2 seems to be trying to play above his/her skill level. Trying to hard. Playing the kit like it is an entire orchestra.

Drummer 1 seemed to be just a classic metal drummer. Nothing really stands out with him/her. Dosesn't really seem to have a unique sound. Timming is okay but over plays a bit for my tastes.

3. Pokerdweebz

Pokerdweebz Supporting Member

I would agree with this. I thought the third drummer was the best. The second one sounded too unsure of himself/herself and the first one sounded typical.

4. WashburnAB95

WashburnAB95

I made that evaluation after a very quick listen... nice to hear my ears being confirmed. I have a great ear for music... now only if I had an equally great ability to create it :)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lakefx

lakefx Supporting Member

I agree with all the others. Drummer 2 also struggled with staying on the beat.

7. Carl Hillman

Carl Hillman

#1 seems the most solid time-wise to me.

8. IncX

IncX

whoa! ... nice comments. a bit unexpected. but here's some bit of info about them.

drummer 1 was our first drummer. he was the type who underplays. he would play zero fills if he could get away with it. he also learns the most songs the fastest. he simplifies a lot of it. he has also played the song the longest, so i wont be surprised if his time was better. although, i noticed he was the one who had the hardest time doing the snare blast beats.

drummer 2 was actually my fave drummer. i dont know about overplaying, but i find his fills tasteful, and he can syncopate with my bassline with his kick drum. he also has the most technical ability, especially when his chops were sharp. he hasnt played for about a year when he joined our band. he has terrible song learning habits, but catches instructions very fast.

drummer 3 is the current drummer and is a friend. i always find him overplaying with the snare and he is the type who plays the kit like an entire orchestra. there was a time he pissed off the guitarist to the point that he did not want to play the solo, and instead give the drummer a drum solo just to get it over with. we have stopped a lot of songs because of he played too much fills. he also has the song learning habit of drummer 2 - the only way they learn songs is if you learn them in a rehearsal room together.

-*-

it is kinda cool that the current replies favor drummer 3. perhaps theres something with him i did not see.

9. lakefx

lakefx Supporting Member

You also only gave us clips of one song from one rehearsal. Maybe you picked the one song that drummer 3 fits best with.

10. bassestkkm

bassestkkm

I think if the guitarist made himself cut through the mix more during his solo it would work. Drummer 3 breaks the monotony a bit. But yeah I would agree tha in certain parts he over plays a bit. Nothing asking him to ease back a little shouldn't fix.

11. joebar

joebar Supporting Member

economy is an important quality in a metal drummer-think Vinnie Paul from pantera; listen how effective simplicity can get the point across.
    if you say drummer 1 is the most stripped down of the three; I would go with him in the long run.

12. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Alleva-Coppolo| MESA |Genz-Benz R.I.P.|REDDI|Westone
    All 3 drummers have timing issues.. But so does the rest of the band. Everyone is playing way on top of the beat and rushing too... adding to the tug and pull and non even flow.. on track 3 , At times the GIT player is almost a 1/4 note ahead when coming out of a fill
    Everyone needs to listen to the drummer if you want to sound tight as a band.. BUT First find one that doeent have timing issues in middle measure and when coming out of a fill so you can all have confidence in his time and follow..

You asked.. so im sayin.

13. IncX

IncX

i pretty much agree with you. all of those are rehearsal clips with the drummers still learning the songs, and we're not what you would call "high level musicians" ... i actually hear the timing issues too (especially on mine, i blame myself the most on some of those clips)

so thanks for the tip. we are currently working on it.

here's the studio version, with everyone (girl singer included):

https://soundcloud.com/paperview-band/cant-put-me-down-final-mix

drummer 1 played on it.

14. Bassbubble11

Bassbubble11 Supporting Member