1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please make yourself at home! I've deleted the previous "migration" threads, please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Close to a P bass without being a P bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Sep 19, 2013.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL A Hard Rockin Lover of GREENBURST Supporting Member

What basses have you played or owned that are not P Basses but nail the P Bass tone? The Epiphone Jack Casady Bass to my ears delivers what an acoustic P bass would sound like. The G&L MFD humbucker comes close as well in some settings.
  2. whizzkidd4

whizzkidd4

this guy sounds like a pbass on steroids..ask anybody who has one..[​IMG]w/c would be rare..this is the mid 80's model..and it's got this greenish bloblike paint job that I have never seen on any guitar..beautiful voice tho..active/passive..neckthru..Japanese..just love it..
  3. Daniel Piper

Daniel Piper

Musicman big al SSS. Superb p bass esque tones in there
  4. wave rider

wave rider

Peavey MIA Fury.

=wr=
  5. Stumbo

Stumbo Supporting Member

Ibanez Musician
  6. SlugThrower

SlugThrower Supporting Member

Or an Ibanez ATK!
  7. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

MIJ Mustang. It looks like a mini pbass but it sounds huge.
  8. VeganThump

VeganThump Supporting Member

As far as my PBass needs go, a jazz bass with the neck pickup soloed is close to a P as I'll ever need.
  9. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

To me the Mustang is a bit of a different voice. The short scale, and smaller pickups give it a bit of a deeper tone than a 34" P-Bass.

I dig the Casady Signiture. It does get kind of in the ballpark of a Precision. Sits great in the mix. Still... nothing does a P-Bass like a P-Bass ;)
  10. msact

msact Supporting Member

My 1979 Washburn Vulture I can get very close.
  11. T-34

T-34

G&L 1000 to some extent
  12. ack

ack Supporting Member

I agree. I have both the split-P and a slanted Super Ferrite versions of the MIA Fury, and they're both good P-basses.
    The Patriot with the single SF also does a great job at it.
  13. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

My lovely Lakland 44-64 custom bass nails the P Bass Tone perfectly, with a neck to die for !!!! I have never been tempted to lean towards a 'P' Bass, but now that is all I am looking for !!!! I want to have a Custom Shop Classic Closet Pro Precision Bass sooooo bad !!! But, my Lakland fulfils my current GAS needs too !
  14. Landy67

Landy67 Supporting Member

Line 6 Variaxe
    The P-Bass variations start about 1:56 into the demo.
  15. RED J

RED J Half Hip, Half Hick Supporting Member

You didn't say whether or not a bass with a P bass pickup, a clone if you will, is considered a P bass for sake of your question, I see a few here, and them pulling it off comes as no surprise, I have a couple.
    If what you meant was a bass with non Split P pickup that pulls of a P Bass tone pretty well, my Peavey Foundation Super Ferrite on the neck pickup does a good job, IMO. My two Jazz basses on neck pickups ( both have Dimarzio Model J humbuckers ) do a pretty good job IMO
  16. superjesus

superjesus Supporting Member

Bob Babbitt's Jazz Bass on Signed, Sealed, Delivered.
  17. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

G&L SB-1
    G&L SB-2 with Tone control added
    Peavey Fury
    G&L LB-100

All of these will nail a Fender P sound, 100%. With the MFD pickups, all you have to do is dial back the volume a bit.
  18. TC.65

TC.65

I'll go with the MIA Peavey Fury. One of the best sounding and playing basses I've ever owned or played. Mine is a late 80's or early 90's model with a split pickup.
  19. ggvicviper

ggvicviper P is the Key. Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes. Gold Supporting Member

G&L L5000 (right). Does this count?

[​IMG]
  20. eldoryder

eldoryder I just LOVE me some Vintage Peaveys! Supporting Member

For an older version of the Peavey Super Ferrite pickup which nails (or surpasses) the "P" sound, I give you the Peavey T-20:

[​IMG]