close to rotos

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by harpguy74, Dec 4, 2013.

1. harpguy74

harpguy74

What are the closest you can get to Roto 66 without the fret wear and. Agresive feel.

2. BruceBass3901

BruceBass3901

You can get the Roto 66 in stainless or nickel... The nickel set will be kinder to your frets but probably won't sound as bright as the stainless.

There is almost always a trade off with stainless/nickel variations of the same string

3. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

4. Duckwater

Duckwater

Tonally I would say Labella Hard Rockin Steels but they are still rough feeling compared to lots of other strings

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

I was a Roto user for years in the 1980's, then sometime in the 1990's, the sound of the string seemed to change. DR Hi Beams sound the most like how I remember or want Rotos to sound, so that's what I use.

7. Toptube

Toptube

DRs don't sound ANYTHING like rotos.

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Unfortunately their sound comes from their rough feel...which causes fret wear. It's definitely a tradeoff. The nickel Rotos sound nothing like the steel Roto's. They are quite tame and dull sounding.

9. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

It's been said before, I don't remember the exact quote, but it's something like this:

Regular steel rounds will cause enough damage to require fret work after 10 years. With roto 66's it'll take 8.

If you can learn to live with the rough feel, the fret wear is really irrelevant if you truly love the sound, which is all that matters.

10. grendle

grendle Supporting Member

Unfortunaly this is the answer. I noticed the change in Rotos too and switched to DR years ago. I'm back to rotos now. Nothing else snarls like they do.

If you keep your frets buffed it will help. The more polished they are, the harder they are so it will help them resist ware and stay even. I'm going to refret my spectors with SS when and if they need it. I polish mine every string change with 0000 steel wool,then buffing compound, then polish. No significant wear after a few years use. I do play hard, and am a pick user also.

If you let your frets go , and let them get dirty, they will eat much faster.

I'll pay the man 300 for a refret if I ever need it. Until then , the joy I get from my tone is far more important. Let em eat! : bassist:

11. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

This is going to sounds crazy, but try some Dunlop nickels.

12. Toptube

Toptube

Oh, also, Roto has the Solo Bass 55. I believe it's the same materials as SB66, but in a halfround.