Closed tuners

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by milo, Mar 7, 2014.

1. milo

milo

2. mrbell321

mrbell321

I've been looking into this. I haven't done it yet, but apparently, you can wiggle the post around and at some point the screw that holds the post to the gear starts to back out. You can use that to push the cap off the back.

3. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Professional Luthier
    The back plate is a stamped aluminum part that is lightly pressed into the housing. The post, gear, thrust washer, and back plate are all assembled into the housing, and then the housing is set into a small arbor press, and the back plate is lightly pushed down into the housing to retain everything.

To disassemble it, you do the opposite. Set the housing upright in an arbor press, on top of something that has a hole slightly larger diameter than the back plate. A block of wood with a hole in it, or a socket from a socket wrench set, something like that. Press down (gently, pleeeeze....) on the post, and the whole assembly will pop out of the housing. Yes, you can do it with a hammer and a vise, too. If you are careful. And haven't had too many beers.

The bigger question is why do you need to take it apart? What are you going to try to repair?

4. mrbell321

mrbell321

I'm building a uke-bass and I need custom tuners. I could just buy the RoadToad/Kala/Hipshot ones, but I like taking things apart and generally making my own life difficult.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. milo

milo

One tuner stopped working and i have luck with back plate fell of alone.The screw of gear was totaly lose and when I screwed it now works like new.I want to know how can I take back plate off so I can tighten screw in other four tuners-