1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Closest Pedal to a Human Gear Animato?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bassist96, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Bassist96

Bassist96

Hey Everyone

The Animato seems to be quiet rare, and i can't seem to find any schematics to make a clone.

so what is the closest alternative to the Animato?
  2. ZombieSpacebat

ZombieSpacebat

3. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

4. Bassist96

Bassist96

Yeah that is quiet pricy, are there other alternatives (different brands), even if it isnt a clone
  5. jking138

jking138

Some people say the Whiteface ProCo Rat (chip dependent) and the Hardwire CM2 can get close. I've been looking myself, being a big muse fan, at what some of the guys trying to emulate Wolstenholm's tone are using and it seems to be these. Run them with a clean blend to preserve punch and low-end and the majority of people won't know the difference.
  6. honotron

honotron

I had an animato and then bought a cm2, ended up selling the animato as its so close tone wise that nobody in a live scenario could ever tell the difference.
  7. EskimoBassist

EskimoBassist

Plus remember if someone drops a pint on your CM2 its not the end of the world.
  8. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

:D
  9. Bassist96

Bassist96

I like the idea of the cm2, but with the whiteface proco rat, will you be able to get the same sound out of a rat 2 or turbo rat?
  10. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Malekko Heavy Industry
    Not the current crop of Procos, however, the Fuzzrocious Rat Tail will...and then some!
  11. Bassist96

Bassist96

Are there any comparison videos out there?
  12. jking138

jking138

There are some on youtube, search chris wolstenholme tone, or muse bass tone. There is one guy who talks you through all the pedals and how to create the muse bass tones. He does a video that compares the rat and animato I think.

This is video 1, keep going through them till you find what you want, I can't remember which episode it was, but I did learn quite a bit about effects watching these.