1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Closest to Ernie Ball roundwound SS: DR Lo-Riders SS or La Bella Steels?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Lebowsky, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Lebowsky

Lebowsky w00t? Supporting Member

Question is in the topic :)

I have to stop using Ernie Ball roundwound stainless steel strings because they're too short for my rippers. Only long enough strings available in the gauges I use are DR Lo-Riders stainless steel or La Bella steels, which are however a custom order.

I ordered the DR Lo-Riders already as I need to be able to use them asap, and the La Bella's custom order takes 1-2 months. But I'm debating whether or not ordering the La Bellas already to have them the soonest possible.

Which ones of the two do you think will get me closer to the Ernie Ball sound and feel, which I really appreciate?

FWIW, I play a Ripper, mainly aggressively with a pick, 45-65-85-110.
  2. Lebowsky

3. bumperbass

bumperbass

I can't help you out, really, as I've never played with EB strings. The DR Lo-Rider Nickels I have on my P-Bass are the growliest nickel rounds I have played. I don't do SS because of fret wear but the SS Lo-Riders should give you even more zing than the nickels (obviously).
  4. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Disclosures:
    playing bass since 2005
    try La Bella RX SS :)
  5. Lebowsky

RX are low tension and smaller gauges than what I use... :)

Guess I'll just try out the DRs and see how it goes, hopefully they're close enough to what I want.