Club Stambaugh - Show your Stammies!! [Part 4]

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Nov 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002

Media:
  2. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Casting out the nines Supporting Member

Alright, a brand new thread to stretch out in.

The ball is officially rolling and I've mailed in my deposit. I'll be getting a pair of Stambaughs. Both will be passive, 33" scale and in Chris' ODB shape.

The first will be a Fossil type design with the three Aero single coils, 5 position selector switch and Stellartone Tonestyler.

The second will be my best attempt at a Roscoe Beck style jazz variant. Aero Type 1 Dual Coils with the outer coils in the 70's position with series/parallel/single coils switching.

Both solid colors with pickguards.
  3. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    [​IMG]
    Maybe Chris can enlighten us, since it's one of his personal basses. It's crazy-light, as you might expect from the pictures.
  4. spade2you

spade2you

[​IMG]

Mine.

6 string Tele style guitar with a B-Bender on order due sometime next fall.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Neck is glued up. <8 weeks from delivery. :)
  7. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Accuracy, Carvin, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    One of my students just got his 6 string Stambaugh with Willis ramp, Aero pickups and neck through construction. I know he was fretting because it took a while to get, but I must admit the bass was worth the wait. It's awesome and I'm definitely tempted...
    Oh no, the base price for a neck-thru 7 is $2800! Down the slippery slope I go...
  8. Jared Lash

This thread needs a bump.

So it looks like my two Stambaughs will end up being a Fossil (Chris' take on a Telecaster type bass) and my take on a Roscoe Beck IV using Delano twin jazz pickups but aiming for more of a 70's jazz vibe rather than the 60's flavor the RB had.

I'm also thinking of using Chris' ODB shape but doing the Fossil design without the offset to get closer to a P-bass look while keeping the shape as normal for the second one to create a bit of a Precision and Jazz vibe.

Like this
    [​IMG]

vs this
    [​IMG]
  9. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

front page posting

[​IMG]
  10. Jared Lash

The bubinga fretless is gorgeous, but it's the white one that knocks me out each time. I want to do something similar with the ODB shape, fattening it a bit, adding a pickguard and doing a poly finish (trans blue on one, solid candy apple red on the other.

I'm sure you did so in the last thread, but what are the specs on your third Stammie? I remember you trying to decide on a finish long ago and posting the mockups. What did you decide on?
  11. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Same body style as the fretless (i.e. not thick like the white one) with a mahogany body and maple top, oil finish, wenge neck and board, J+MM Nordstrands & Aguilar OBP3.

I'm not really branching out too far, but I just really wanted something with a wenge neck again after playing Warwicks for so long.
  12. Jared Lash

I think we need to start up a TB Stambaugh gallery again. The last one was just using space on my old band's website so I'm not sure exactly how I'd start this one up, but if there's enough interest I could certainly figure out a way.

What say you, Stammie owners?
  13. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player Supporting Member

Where do I sign the petition? :)
  14. Jared Lash

Any ideas on the best way to set things up? My first thought is just to upload the photos into Flickr and create a set along with a Slideshow because it's free and relatively easy.
  15. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Yup, that's my thought too. If it's on flickr we're not eating anyone's personal hosting.
  16. JamesGoodall

JamesGoodall

Here's a question for you guys, after the initial down payment how did you go about/how did the infamous Mr. Stambaugh request the remaining amount be paid?

:Dand to repost my specs and ideas cause it makes me happy :D

11 strings
    16.5 mm string spacing
    multi-scale 36-31.5
    28 brass frets
    morado fret markers: 3, 5, 7, 9, 12 etc)
    morado fingerboard
    neck through
    Mahogany Body
    chambered: f hole
    Figured Bastogne walnut top, maybe matching back?
    3 aero custom pickups:neck & bridge-all eleven, middle-top (treble) 6
    Piezo bridge
    dual output: neck-bridge-piezo/middle
    pecan or maple (waiting on Chris' answer on pecan) accents: p-up covers, control knobs, fingerboard binding, truss-rod covers, potential extra body veneer
    Gold hardware
    Hipshot ultralights

:hyper:Gah i get excited every time i think about this bass! 3 weeks down, up to a year still to wait :bawl:
  17. Jared Lash

In both cases for me, Chris asked for the remainder of the balance when the bass was finished and ready to be shipped.

And I want to see progress pics of your monster!
  18. Jared Lash

I just sent in my deposit on my pair of stammies a couple weeks back too so I'm guessing our basses will start their lives (neck glueups) around the same time. Mine will spend some time at the finishers but otherwise are pretty straightforward compared to your 11 string so we'll see.

Here's a rundown on the specs of my two passive basses:

Bass #1 "Fossil variant"
    • 33" scale
    • 22 Frets
    • ODB shape without the normal offset (more like a P)
    • Forearm contour and standard Stambaugh headstock
    • Mahogany or Alder body (whichever Chris recommends)
    • 5 piece neck (maple with walnut stringers) with dot markers
    • Maple fingerboard
    • 3 Aero single coils with 5 position pickup selector, master volume and Stellartone tonestyler
    • Hipshot B bridge & "Y key" ultralites and metal beveled knobs either in black or chrome (still deciding)
    • Side instrument jack
    • Candy apple red finish with matching headstock cap and a black pickguard

Bass #2 "Super Jazz" - ala 70's style Roscoe Beck variant
    • 33" scale
    • 22 Frets
    • Normal ODB shape with offset,
    • Forearm contour and standard Stambaugh headstock
    • Either hard ash or swamp ash body (I'd prefer hard ash but worry about it being too heavy)
    • 5 piece neck (ash with bubinga stringers) with dot markers
    • Wenge fingerboard (if possible)
    • 2 Delano DJC 4 HE pickups oriented so the outer coils are in jazz position with the bridge closer to the 70's spacing than 60's
    • 3 knobs for volume/volume/tone
    • 2 switches - 1 for each pickup to toggle between series, parallel and "single coil"
    • Hipshot B bridge & "Y key" ultralites and metal beveled knobs either in chrome
    • Side instrument jack
    • Blueburst finish with matching headstock cap and a pearloid pickguard.

I also asked for both basses to have the same neck profile as my first two Stammies with the same neck heel as my bolt on.
  19. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Really like that bubinga fretless 5, would love to hear a sound clip if possible, I was thinking of something similar for my next build. I had a tonestyler (or whatever its called) in my last bass and found it to be a pricey and completly useless piece.
    I am tempted by the fretless resonace basses he has on his website but would add a mag PU like a bart P bass or possibly a HB of some sort, those tops are too pretty to mess with too much. Heres my 5er Luthier's Access Group - Stambaugh DCSN 5
  20. JamesGoodall

JamesGoodall

:eek: Those basses sound beautiful, Jared! I guess you're one of the 'few others' Chris told me he was waiting on deposits from. :rolleyes:

Can't wait to see yours come into being along with mine, but until that batch starts, could someone please jump on here and give us updates on their stammies being built? :p
    I find it makes the wait seem more worth it and remind me why I chose chris :D
  21. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

My brother just finished up his record, which I played bass on. It's mostly the fretted Stambaugh, but 'Sad' has the fretless. I was trying to get it to sound like an upright, though, so it's all the piezo pickup and me playing over the fingerboard. When I get a second I can record some other samples - it does a nice fake upright tone but it's awesome at nasty growl.

Anyways, you can download the record here: Mr. Sleeves - DtD?

The Freighter record is also all the white bass, but it was when it had Bartolinis (my Nordstrands were custom and delayed, so Chris shipped the bass with pickups he had on hand) and it's nowhere close to what it "should" sound like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.