***Club Verellen*** - Part Deux

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by NKBassman, Feb 21, 2014.

1. NKBassman

NKBassman Nerd Supporting Member

Flad likes this.
  2. HenningSB

HenningSB

My Meatsmoke and Skyhammer will most likely ship in a couple of days! CAN'T FREAKIN' WAIT!
  3. Figjam

Figjam Supporting Member

Ill be hearing some Verellen goodness tonight when I see Russian Circles.
  4. negativefx

negativefx complete hack Gold Supporting Member

Hey guys, I have the new '2 channel' pre and I was wondering if others see this same behavior... regardless of the channel, if I pull the treble all the way up, I lose all the bass. Now looking at the graphics on the knobs, I think I may just have everything backwards in my head. Is the treble *cut* knob on the left, mids in the middle, and bass *cut* knob on the right? Meaning the higher I raise the left knob, the more treble I cut, and the more I raise the right knob, the more bass I cut?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. NKBassman

No I don't think that's right. I know the labels are misleading, but from L-R it's Bass, Mids, and Treble.

From what I understand, it's got a Fender-style tone stack, which I believe is fairly interactive between the knobs. Also, "flat" is 2-10-2, so bass and treble are essentially boost only, and mid is cut only.
  7. Figjam

Figjam Supporting Member

Can you clarify of how that makes mid cut only? Thanks
  8. negativefx

Well, my Super Bassman amp has that same stack and 2/10/2 setup... it does not behave like this guy does. I'm gonna plug it into my Bassman power section and test it out a little more. If it's acting goofy, I'll DI into recorder and post results.
  9. negativefx

Ok, here's the recording of my Fender P+J vols and tone dimed into the clean channel of the Meatsmoke and out of OUT into a Toneport UX2.

Gain and Vol are at 12 o'clock. All three switches on the back are down.

Dropbox link to mp3

There's 9 settings in the linked mp3.

0:00-0:05 = Bass@12, Mid@12, Treb@12
    0:05-0:11 = 5,12,12 = bass dimed
    0:11-0:17 = 12,12,5 = treble dimed
    0:17-0:22 = 12,5,12 = mids dimed
    0:22-0:26 = 5,5,5 = all dimed
    0:26-0:31 = 5,7,5 = bass and treble dimed
    0:31-0:37 = 5,7,7 = only bass
    0:37-0:43 = 7,7,5 = only treble

Last one is bass@12, mid@12, and starts with treble at 5. I did a sweep of the treble from 5 down to 7 and back up to 5.

It seems like as the treble is upped, the others are cut significantly. Does anyone else agree or am I just crazy?
  10. negativefx

For the 1 to 10 crowd

0:00-0:05 = Bass@5, Mid@5, Treb@5
    0:05-0:11 = 10,5,5 = bass dimed
    0:11-0:17 = 5,5,10 = treble dimed
    0:17-0:22 = 5,10,5 = mids dimed
    0:22-0:26 = 10,10,10 = all dimed
    0:26-0:31 = 10,1,10 = bass and treble dimed
    0:31-0:37 = 10,1,1 = only bass
    0:37-0:43 = 1,1,10 = only treble
  11. NKBassman

The flattest response is with Mids set to 10, any setting lower than 10 is cutting mids.

EDIT: That's 10 on the dial, not 10 o'clock.
  12. NKBassman

I'm hearing that too. Unfortunately mine is at the studio right now or I'd test it out for you.

Maybe shoot Ben an email and see if he knows.
  13. Figjam

Figjam Supporting Member

AH okay 10 on the dial.
  14. negativefx

Thanks NK... confirms that hearing is at least somewhat in tact. I pinged Ben on it.

I know that my demo settings were on the extreme ends of the EQ and I'd never use 10/1/10 in a real scenario, but I'm trying to get a good understanding of the EQ and the behavior just seemed odd enough to me to ask around. If I keep the EQ around 5/5/5 and make small adjustments from there it sounds killer so it's not like I think the pre sounds bad or anything, just not expecting that much bass/mid bleed from the treble.
  15. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
  16. skullservant

skullservant

Still want to pick up a Meatsmoke Pre to run into my Verellen head's FX return...
  17. negativefx

I'm running it into my Super Bassman power amp with a switch I built to toggle between the fender and meat smoke. 4 channels of goodness.
  18. Sanjwise

Sanjwise

Hey everybody,

I just got the MS preamp this morning. I bought it cause right now, my only amp is a fender rumble 150 combo amp. The tone is a little wimpy and I wanted to warm it up with a tube preamp.

How should I connect it to the rumble? MS out into the effects loop return? Or bass into the pedal and pedal to the amp?

Sanj
  19. negativefx

If you want to bypass the rumble preamp completely:
    Bass > Meatsmoke IN, Meatsmoke OUT > Rumble Return
    Set the output switch to HIGH (line level).

If you want to run it into the rumble preamp:
    Bass > Meatsmoke IN, Meatsmoke OUT > Rumble IN
    Set the output switch to LOW (instrument level).

I run mine into the power amp on my Super Bassman and built a toggle box to switch between the Fender preamp and the Meatsmoke while still maintaining the pre and post pedal chains. Wiring diagram attached. If you don't care for the LED indicator, just dump the DC jack, resistor, LED, and substitute a DPDT switch. Loop In comes from the bass (or pre pedals), In and Out 1 go to Meatsmoke In/Out, In2 goes to Fender input, Out2 goes to Fender send, and Loop Out goes to Fender return (or post pedals).

Attached Files:

20. negativefx

Ben responded (quickly as always) and said that it is behaving as expected and the reason for the cut is that they chose to give a wider spectrum of tones than the standard Fender tonestack so the extreme ends of the EQ have some more drastic cutting than a standard stack. Basically, this one goes to 11.
  21. zwkoch

zwkoch You can't do that on bass enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

Just sent off a request to have Ben build be a 1x15 MS combo. All tube with a DI. I find myself playing a lot more guitar than I would like, and I want an amp that is small enough for our church (which is tiny) and can be used for both bass and guitar. We will see what he says.