CN212 or ML112

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by DrC, Aug 3, 2013.

1. DrC

DrC Supporting Member

I want to replace my current cab, and have pretty much narrowed down my choice to either a Berg CN212 or a Baer ML112. If I went with the Baer, I would start out with one, and consider adding a second cab later, if I am happy with the first one, and see how much one covers my current gigs.

The schlep factor isn't that important. Looking to stay lighter weight, so either would be great. I never have to carry them too far, I don't mind making more trips between my car and the gig site, and I have band members to help. The lighter weight is helpful mainly in getting them from my house to the car on my own!

I realize one CN 212 will go much louder then one ML112, from reading the threads. Most of my gigs these days are not high volume; smaller clubs where I can't turn up that terrible loud....even if I wanted to :crying: . Basically playing in classic rock, country, blues cover band. We don't even mike the drummer most of the time, and the PA is vocals only. So one ML112 might be fine. I wouldn't mind getting another ultimately, if needed sometimes- I'd be happy leaving one where we practice, and another at home then!

There is no where that I can audition either one in my area, so I'll have to just order one in the end. So the main question comes down to tone. Currently I am mainly using a Steamliner 900, although I could change that in the future or add another amp if I wanted. Sounds like the STM900 would match up fairly well with these cabs though.

So- looking for opinions especially from anyone who owns, or has experience with both of these. Or if you have tried either one of them, and didn't like them and went on to something else, I'd love to hear why you felt that way, and what else you replaced them with.
    Thanks!
  2. iggy

iggy

What about the HD112 from Bergantino. And also the 115 from Jim. I'm sure it will give a nice deep bottom for blues/country even though it is 8 ohms. Moo?
  3. DrC

DrC Supporting Member

Anyone??
  4. akukulich

akukulich

I haven't played the Baer, but I recently started gigging with a CN212 and an STM 900. I wouldn't hesitate to use it on the types of gigs you're describing. It doesn't take up that much space and the extra capacity doesn't have to translate into too much volume. Plus, no expense of an extra cabinet. I still use a 112 for some very light gigs, mostly without a drummer. Otherwise, the 212 never seems like too much for me.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MVE

MVE Supporting Member

I have no experience with the Baer or the STM900, but I got a CN212 yesterday and I can testify that I am very happy with it. It has a very warm and full sound that is sweet in all the right places for a bass.
    I can't think of any other way to say how nice this thing sounds. I've got a Demeter VTB-201 with the internal class D amp running into it and it is the best sounding bass amp I have ever played through...ever. (I'm 36 and I have been playing since I was about 12... so there have been quite few bass amps over the years.)
    The CN212 is amazing.
  7. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

I just posted this on a Bergantino Neo Thread. Quite relevant!

I gigged with my CN212 with a full 4 -piece band last Saturday night and it the CN212 was incredibly superb. Exceeded my expectations. Ths is not a loud band, but we played at reasonable acoustic drum volume. I was quite blown away by the CN212.

Last night I did another gig with my Duo at this same, very familiar, 4-Diamond Resort patio where I gig at least twice a month. I took my CN212 last night to gauge its performance in a very intimate, sparse, open music mix at low volumes with my Duo. In this context, the CN212 was very good and was certainly usable, but I would say it was definitely overkill. It has a very 'full' overall presentation. I found myself being 'very careful' with my Low end EQ and wound up favoring the bridge PU more than usual in order to 'lean' out the sound so I wouldn't overwhelm the vocals or amplified Acoustic guitar tone of my duo partner.

Going forward, for quieter, more intimate gigs, I will use my Baer ML112. I suspected as much and this is not really a knock on the CN212. For all my band work, it KICKS ass! But for smaller, quieter work, the CN212 really is overkill. (Probably just pointing out the obvious)

I will also add that side-by-side, the voice of the CN212 and Baer ML112 are very similar. This is curious since the Berg has a Compression Horn for highs where the Baer ML112 has a 6" Mid and no Horn. But the Baer at low to medium volumes is to my ears; More organic, more growl, more texture. For quieter more intimate gigs, I LOVE the Baer ML112. For "me", it is the better tool for the job.

I wanted to see how well the Bergantino CN212 would do in a very quiet setting, so I am glad I tried it. But in hindsight, I prefer the focused organic growl and balance of the single Baer ML112 for quiet small, intimate gigs like last night.
  8. GRoberts

PS: The Baer ML112 is SO good, it makes me want a second one to truly do my own A-B with a Pair of Baer ML112's versus a single Bergantino CN212. I have a feeling I 'might' prefer the Baer ML112 stack. But don't get me wrong. For ANY band gigs, the Berg CN212 is stunning and is my favorite single cab that will always punch at dance band volume if the gig calls for more volume.
  9. DrC

DrC Supporting Member

After much thought- I'm going with the Baer ML112! Really psyched to give this a try with my STM 900. Starting with one, and will not be surprised to add a second.
    Thanks to everyone who replied.
  10. GRoberts

Let us know what you think ...and keep in mind, the cab loosens up and the bass / low end opens up a bit after a few hours of playing time.

I love the way this cab is so organic and lets the growl and touch of my right hand attack shine through the mix. Good stuff!
  11. reddavid

reddavid Supporting Member

And you'll probably find that you'll need to 'clean up' your fingering as well... you'll hear everything (good and not so good.) Congrats!
  12. HeavyJazz77

HeavyJazz77 Supporting Member

A comparison between the HD112 and ML112 would be cool... I like the idea if losing the tweeter - it's great in context, but during breaks it just lets me know how bad the house's electrical wiring is. I would suspect that the Baer's 6" driver smooths the highs a bit given it translates up to 9kHz compared to the Berg's 15kHz. Also, ceramic versus neo drivers play a pretty big coloration role. I've used both and love the wind of the ceramic, but for technical play and critical dynamics I found certain neo drivers to really be more ideal.

Has anybody had the opportunity to A/B the H against the ML?
  13. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Not direct, but spent time with both. Very different. First, the Baer's top end is wonderful, but in no way extends to 9K (maybe on paper). Plenty of top end but no sizzle... very warm and 'paper cone' sounding. IMO, the best mid driver loaded design I have yet heard. Nice brightness and a bit of 'crunch' up top if you really push it.

The HD112 is less mid mid present, and if anything, has a bit of a dip in the upper mids (that the CN and of course the ML doesn't have). It hits almost as hard as the ML to my ear, with a bigger, more round sounding low end, less mid mid presents, and a sweeter top end due to the tweeter sitting just above the top end of the driver to my ear.

Totally, completely different voicing than the ML112. The CN kind of sits between the two, with the CN having more low mid/upper bass meat than the ML112, and a bit more extended top end, with a bit less energy in the upper mids. Both the HD and the ML will put out a bit more absolute volume with enough power than a single CN112, but all three are quite impressive as 'small gig stand alones'.

All great cabs that sound quite different IMO and IME.