CNC Cutting

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by apdamron, Feb 1, 2013.

1. apdamron

apdamron

Hey guys,
    First off I just want to say I have zero experience in making guitars and that I respect the amount of time and knowledge needed to go about the craft. However, I am a skilled CNC Programmer, draftmen, 3-d Modeller, etc with pretty much any and every tool available at my disposal. Basically I am interested in designing/programming/cutting out components myself for a project.

I'm curious if there is blueprints out there to try and get a feel for generic shape and dimensions, body cavity sizes, spaces for electrical routing, and whatnot. I'm sure this will have it's share of headaches but again, I am doing this as a personal pet project so it is what it is, just trying to get pointed in the right direction.

I plan to do the body cutouts on a waterjet, probably multiple layers. Edge beveling and such can all be done on the machine so with an end product, I would pretty much just be sanding edges.

Any help whatsoever would be awesome.
  2. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Disclosures:
    guitar builder, Meyers Guitars
    PM me with your email and I will send you some stuff I have for a Jazz and P bass. Also how are you going to use a water jet on wood? You need to use a router bit cnc (or whatever you call them) But you sound like you know more about the machines then me.
  3. F-Clef-Jef

F-Clef-Jef

I've got a pretty good library of solid models (mostly bodies), dxf's & what-not. I do solid modeling on Solidworks. I would think dxf's would be the most useful for a waterjet. PM me and I can also email you some files.
    We also have a waterjet here that I intend to put to use someday, although I'm wondering if I'll have a large mess to clean up afterward. Have you done much wood cutting on your waterjet? Does it leave much debris behind (in the tank)?
  4. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

After you are done with the bass, you should CNC cut a Bill Fitzmaurice cab to go along with it.

lowsound
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. PJRL

PJRL

Here's a thought, I wonder if we can 3-D print a wood body yet ?

:bag:
  7. apdamron

apdamron

Thanks for the responses

thebassbuilder- PM sent waterjet works surprisingly well on wood, which i've only found out recently.

F-clef- PM sent as well, it doesn't leave much and it's definetly not as nasty to deal with asany HDPE/plastics that you cut. best to cut on 'waterjet brick' if you have it to keep the wood optimally dry

iamlowsound- what is a bill cab? I was looking at fearfuls...

don't know any about 3-d printing
  8. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

How do you keep the wood from taking up too much water?
  9. apdamron

apdamron

when you cut, the water level is down.
  10. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

Right...but does the water not come into contact with the wood while it's cutting? I know it's moving at high speed under high pressure, but I'm still not sure how it wouldn't soak water up.

I promise I'm not trying to shoot holes in it or be a dick, I'm genuinely curious about machining these things, and waterjet was something I hadn't thought of, because I wasn't sure how to keep the wood from getting wet.
  11. Uncle Snake

Uncle Snake

The edges absorb a little moisture and you let them dry out. No problem. I program waterjets for a living.........
  12. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

A Bill cab is to a fearful, as a Fedora is to a Fender. Google them, super compact, folded horn design.

lowsound