Coated Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Sadowsky, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Sadowsky

Sadowsky Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: Sadowsky Guitars Ltd.
  2. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much Supporting Member

Very interesting article, thanks. I'm not generally a fan of the feel of coated strings anyway (on guitars at least).

Possibly a stupid question, but do tapewounds suffer the same problem?

3. locisbrelm

locisbrelm Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Bass
    Good read and great information! Thanks! Question though. If you use pickups such as EMG that do not require a bridge ground, is it bad to use the "other" string companies?

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

I remember reading something similar when Elixirs first came out. Funny, nobody really talks about it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Sadowsky

Sadowsky Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: Sadowsky Guitars Ltd.
    I always use a bridge ground with EMG's. Contrary to what they say, EMG's are still susceptible to extraneous noise and benefit from a string ground, even in a shielded instrument.

Roger

7. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

I use Elixirs on my fretless. This bass also has EMG's, with no ground wire (I know that because I wired it myself) and it has no problems with hum at all.

8. Jack Wren

Jack Wren Guest

I for one say leave the Elixir's alone. Been using them for years with no problems. I don't want warning labels on them either.

9. tlr1293

tlr1293 Supporting Member

Excellent Article - very informative.
    Now - about the tape wounds....

;)

10. darkstorm

darkstorm

Good read. All valid points to. When the dr neons frist came out & I fell in love with them for their hifi like sound I also noticed they also lacked easy harmonics. The only big minus to me. Now they advertise the subdued harmonics for dragon skins. Lol.

11. tlr1293

As if the warning labels - for those that could benefit from them - would suddenly change how the strings perform on YOUR particular instrument.

I assume you toss the package they came in after installation, or better yet - do not stare at them on a daily basis?

If you use Elixer's with success - awesome.
    Some may not and Roger has the reason why, so people should actually be able to make an informed choice.

12. Jack Wren

Jack Wren Guest

This country is warning labeled to death. If I buy a pair of shoes that I don't like because they hurt my feet does that mean the manufacturer should put a warning label on them? Who do you think pays for that warning label? The consumer does. Maybe the guy that doesn't know should do a little research before he buys. That has worked for me for nearly 50 years.

13. RedsFan75

RedsFan75 Supporting Member

Hey Roger, Always value your input and insight to the board, and the bass world. The hum issue makes TONs of sense....

I do have a quick question on the Conductive coating... How does it affect those of us with Nickel issues?

My challenge is I want a string that has the nickel warmth, but not cause my skin to react... the coated strings provide that for me, and I've not had any issues, so far, with hum. I've got coated on my Lakland, and tape wound on my Fender...

Again, thanks for your input on this.

14. tlr1293

Maybe 'WARNING' label was a poor choice in words.
    Maybe some 'Informational' content on the back of the packaging?
    I seriously doubt that when 'warning' was mentioned that there was no implication of a giant red 'WARNING' label...

Besides, that 'Informational Content' on the back 1) should provide the research you suggest, and 2) STILL not effect the way Elixer's perform on your instrument. ;)

15. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

This is ridiculous. I have not noted any significant difference in hum with coated or tapewound strings.

In addition, the buyer is supposed to know what they are buying. Perhaps UN-coated string should have a warning of electrocution if used in an improperly grounded venue.

Warning labels have sunk to the level of the lowest mentalities. You can even find a jar of peanuts that has a label that says "caution - contains peanuts" ! (true)

16. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

I'm just dam glad that Roger's crew does such a great job on shielding and grounding, cause I've used Elixirs on my Sadowsky basses for years with nary a hint of hum.

17. madbassplaya

madbassplaya Supporting Member

I agree with you. I've seen the peanut warnings as well as Caution: HOT COFFEE and I find them stupid. But if Roger is right and these strings can indeed cause hum and noise problems, I think their should be information about that on the makers website or packaging. Because you're right a buyer should know what they are buying. If there is no information on this a buyer cannot make an informed decision. This could save someone a trip to the shop and a bench fee because they can't figure out why their bass is humming.

Just my thoughts.

18. CapnSev

CapnSev

Perhaps you don't experience any difference because of the bass, or the bass's pickups, but there are a lot of instruments out there with this problem, mine included. It's a huge disappointment for me because I think that the D'Addario tapes are far and away the best sounding strings on my bass, but the hum produced by them (negating the bridge ground) makes them totally unusable.

The problem is that I play a Fender 5-string P, and for some ridiculous reason, Fender made the coils of the P pickup asymmetrical, so that they're not humbucking anymore. That makes coated strings/tapes useless on that bass. I love tapewounds, but you really do have to be careful what you put them on.

19. Rodger Bryan

Rodger Bryan Supporting Member

The wrap wire is coated, but wouldn't the core wire be connected with the shield ground through the bridge via the...balls? Somebody please explain this.

Could it be that the wrap wire, independent (insulated) from the core is becoming the "antenna". If that is the case, then the outer coated wrap would need an uncoated temination point that could make contact with the core and balls. :eyebrow:

20. SlingBass4

SlingBass4 Supporting Member

I use Sadowsky nickels and/or stainless strings...so no problems for me, and best strings I've ever used :smug:

I trust this doesn't come off like brown-nosing (and shouldn't), as I play Fenmoth basses :p

21. 2behead

2behead

I have hated every coated string I have played since the 90's (not sure when they started making them) due to this very issue. As we as the dead sound they give right out of the box.........