1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Cobalts on my SR5 - wow. just wow.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Marley's Ghost, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Supporting Member

I've been eyeing the cobalt threads and finally broke down and picked up a 45-130 set for my Stingray 5 to replace the dead DR Nickel lo riders. Jeepers, what a difference! The bass sings now! Intonation is near perfect, each note rings out with perfect clarity. They are a bit rough, but I play mostly with a light touch so no issues after a few hours of practice. The acid test will be band rehearsal later this week but these babies are for real.

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Yep. Say bye-bye to your frets. Cobalts eat them for lunch :)

3. Marley's Ghost

I'm hoping my light touch will prevent too much damage. :meh:

4. robertebooker

robertebooker

I tried them 3 months ago and was blown away, every note had a brighter clarity.. pricey but great. I agree a little rough for my taste..

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Marley's Ghost

The low B is sick. Carazy tight and clear as a bell.

Frets don't fail me now. :bassist:

7. joebar

joebar

but when they die off-they're dead-really dull IME

8. VeganThump

VeganThump

I love Cobalts! I use them on my Jazz V and they make that baby purrrrrrrr. I actually use a "balanced" tension set that I made from bassstringsonline, 50-70-90-110-135. I use the term balanced lightly because they are balanced perfectly but close enough for me. I tune down a full step (ADGCF) and the power slinky set (55-110) has waaaaaay too much tension on the G and D strings. If only I could get a .145 B string I would be the happiest man in the world. I never realized they ate frets though, truthfully I have noticed anything.

9. Robus

Robus Supporting Member

I tried a set of cobalt guitar strings on my strat and had the same reaction, initially. The clarity, punch, and volume of the strings was amazing by comparison to nickels. They also kept their brightness for a long time. But the more I played, the less I liked them. The mid-range had an almost nasal quality that grated on my nerves. In the end, couldn't wait to get nickels back on.

Anyone notice the same with bass strings?

10. Marley's Ghost

My hands don't really sweat much, and my PH is pretty neutral. I'm hoping these things count in my favor. :)

11. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Really dislike 'em: feel, sound, endurance. They're long gone and no regrets.

12. exidor

exidor

Just love me some cobalt's 45-105s on my jazz bass what a tone! but I have since had to sell my jazz but I kept the strings!! for my other bass but I don't like them on it go figure.
    but I once put a fresh set on my J & it had a dead E string I called Ernie ball they sent me a new set plus two cool shirts!! great customer service!!!

13. sawzalot

sawzalot Supporting Member

I put them on my Bongo 5 HS and WOW. Played a 3-hour gig with them and they definitely lost that new string zing, but on the Bongo they still sound awesome. Seems like cobalts and the Bongo are a natural fit for each other.

Tom

14. Marley's Ghost

Cobalts and the SR5 seem to be a perfect match too.

I've been practicing on them about an hour per day, and at a demanding 3.5 hour rehearsal Thursday night. And the verdict is...awesome. My bandmates noticed the improvement. The tone, clarity and punchiness are markedly greater. My callouses seem to be a bit tougher, but no black marks or loss of tone at all. I lowered the action on my SR5, and no fretbuzz or clanginess at all.

15. Crabby

Crabby

Funny how some love these strings and some hate them. I put a set on my SR5 last year and could not stand them. I switched them over to my Bongo 5 and then even tried them on my Warwick Corvette $$ 5 before giving up on them. I prefer the regular Slinkys by a country mile.

16. movielvr

movielvr

I would like a higher tension b on my new fretless fiver. think cobalt would the trick?

17. Marley's Ghost

No idea, never played a fretless. :(

Strings are expensive trial and error for some of us. :scowl:

18. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

They only go up to a .130, so if you are used to something like a .120 then yes they would be higher tension. But if you normally use a .130 then Cobalts are no higher tension than most any other hex core string.

Might want to look into going to a .135 or higher.

19. VeganThump

VeganThump

They make a .135 Cobalt B string, that's what I use. I get a custom made set from bassstringsonline, .50 .70 .90 .110. .135