Coffee Makes Me Feel Sick! Why!?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Techmonkey, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

I've been drinking coffee for a couple of years and only recently has it been having this effect on me (last couple of weeks perhaps)

I literally cannot stand it anymore. The taste, smell, even the sight of it makes me feel physically sick. I've got a lot of work to do this year and I've been up until the early hours of the morning every night finishing essays and doing paperwork/organising events... I literally need the caffeine to keep me awake at these times, and without it I'm really beginning to suffer.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? Have I just over-exposed myself to the beverage? Is it something to do with some other part of my life?

please... help.... eyelids...... closinggggg....

2. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Perhaps your wife is trying to kill you.

Did you recently increase the amount on your life insurance policy?
    Have you been seeing a lot of empty rat poison boxes in the garbage lately?
    Is your wife looking at pamphlets for ocean cruises?

:eyebrow:

:D

3. bburk

bburk

Yeah, I quit the stuff because of it.

About a year ago I started noticing that I was getting light-headed and a little nauseated for apparantly no reason. At one point I went to the emergency room because I was afraid I was going to pass out (was getting serious waves of tunnel-vision). A couple hundred bucks later the doctor told me I was depressed and dehydrated or some bull... I was relieved because, at least he was convinced that I wasn't going to die.

It took me a while to figure out what it was though. I went through a series of week long phases of cutting out particular foods. Wheat gluten, carbonated beverages, dairy, etc... I'd been a die-hard Mountain Dew guy for years and wasn't really willing to concede that it was caffeine. But eventually, I tried quitting the stuff and felt quite a bit better.

So, yeah. Sorry man, I miss the stuff.

4. thumbplucker

thumbplucker

probably one of two reasons:
    1: you are pregnant -

2: you may be developing an ulcer

you pick

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Fontaine

Fontaine

id get checked for HIV.

but thats my solution for everything, have at it.

7. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

It's always a tumor, or a threemur.

8. Kosko

Kosko

haha, good stuff

But really, it could be somethng as simple as you're drinking a stronger blend of coffee. Suddenly 2 cups in the morning is equivalent to 5 and you had no idea. That happened to me. Just an idea.

9. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Sumatra blend, mmmmmmm

All the goodness, less acid.

10. RWP

RWP

I recently quit smoking and noticed that coffee was giving me a HUGE buzz. So I am giving up coffee for a while to see what's up. Sucks too, like smokes I liked my coffee. Trying to be healthy blows. :meh:

11. MoD_Scotty

MoD_Scotty

If you were in the military, they would give you a pregnancy test, then hand you a bottle of 800mg motrin.

Seriously though, I've had to ween myself off caffeine a few times. It's usually pretty easy. Cold turkey, with some motrin (yeah, those 800mg ones work great), and a lot of water. About 48hrs later you can go on with your life.

If you still need the caffeine but don't want to drink coffee anymore, try energy drinks. They sometimes make your pee glow, but they have a ton of caffeine.

And that "taurine" stuff that's in all of them? Ox bile. Yeah, ox bile. Hence the "bull" in Red Bull. It sounds gross, but if you knew what was in 90% of the products you used everyday, your spleen would turn inside out.

I prefer NOS or Full Throttle (regular or Fury).

12. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

Hmm, I just roasted a nice batch of sumatra, I'll have to give it a try. Been looking for something with less of an acid taste. Yes, I roast my own coffee, I am a nerd.

lowsound

13. louieeadg

louieeadg uncle petey?

Yeah...there's too much acid in your stomach and you're probably dehydrated.

14. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander

To me, the strength of the coffee is less of a factor than the quality of the coffee. Cheap or extra bitter coffee upsets my stomach if I drink too much of it. A good quality whole-bean coffee (freshly ground) is much easier on the stomach, even with the bold or extra bold flavors like Esspresso roast or French roast. Try switching to a different brand of coffee and add other types of drinks inbetween (water, green tea, juices, energy drinks, etc.)

Edit: If your using powdered coffee creamer (i.e., coffeemate, etc.), try switching to real milk (whole, 2%, skim, etc) or half & half. The artificial creamers can mess up your stomach after a while.

15. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

It's disgusting, I'm not surprised you're ill.

16. Ericman197

Ericman197

Just to throw out another theory:

If by sick you mean you're having digestion problems (ie: diarrhea) you may have developed an intolerance to lactose. I wouldn't say that this is the most likely reason that coffee is making you feel sick, but it's a possibility.

I suggest this because people tend to become increasingly intolerant to lactose as they grow older. I've picked up from some of your other posts that you are of Arabic descent, which makes you much more susceptible to lactose intolerance (Only Caucasians seem to be able to drink milk into adulthood, and even then Souther Europeans aren't very lactose tolerant either).

17. IconBasser

IconBasser

bah, I've never really liked coffee. just doesn't taste good.

That, and I have a few friends who are literally addicted to it. I switched my friend's pot of coffee with de-caf once, and he got a massive migrane, started throwing up, had cold sweats, and had to leave school. YIKES!!!!

that.. and I'm somehow immune to caffiene. Dunno why, but it doesn't make any difference to me whatsoever, no matter how much of it I take.

18. Tsal

Tsal

Maybe you've just assiociated yourself to connect the coffee to being up to early hours and struggling with homework. It's all negative vibes, man.. :ninja: :p

19. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander

Good point!

20. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Too much of anything (with the possible exception of ice cream) will ruin the experience. I've been known to peak at 20 cups of black coffe/day. Had to cold turkey that; I started hating the taste and smell, plus my stomach was protesting. It was a painful two days, but then I was right as rain.

"Fell off the wagon" after a couple of months, and then it tasted good again.