Coil Tap switch messed up?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Aria_Pro, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Aria_Pro

Aria_Pro

Hey guys, I own an Aria Pro II SB-700.

The bass is alright, although I always felt like the sound was never right when I compared it to other people playing the same model in YouTube videos.

I feel like my Coil Tap switch doesn't function properly in one of its switch positions.

In the down position, it sounds fine.

Then when I switch it to the up position, the E and A string become very loud (almost a distorted sound) and the D and G string become very quiet in comparison with no low end (has a nasally, trebly sound).

I'm pretty sure this bass wasn't designed to be that way. Almost certain something isn't right but don't know what.

Any ideas fellas? I always heard this bass has a cool, unique sound that even attracted users like John Taylor of Duran Duran and Cliff Burton of Metallica.

Any help would be appreciated. Sorry if the details are lacking, I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to the hardware of bass guitars.

Thanks! :bassist:

2. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass Supporting Member

When you say it always sounded this way I have to ask did you buy it new or used. If used Part of the switch may be bad or a wire broke off the switch are possibilities. If you do not know how to test it with an ohmmeter have someone else do it

3. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass Supporting Member

4. Russell foulkes

Russell foulkes

I had this with my Elite ii. Take it to a mender :)

5. Register to disable this ad