Colbert taking over Letterman next year

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Milk, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Milk

Milk

your opinions?

Disappointed, I am. I love Colbert but I hate losing the Colbert report, the best political comedy show of all time, and a show that I believe is actually needed especially now that the daily show has been sucking for about 2 years.

And I don't want to see Colbert not being...Colbert. I don't think it's his type to schmooze up to celebs....

Stewart would actually have been a much much better fit for this. It's more his style and he's been doing daily show for ages and is probably getting sick of it.... that I would have been happy about. But not Colbert becoming a talk show host.

As for Ferguson..i could see how his style would not have been wanted at 11:30, he already seems to think the format of talk shows is a bit lame, but I kinda feel sorry for him still. Though I heard a rumor there was something in his contract about having first dibs on it or getting monetary compensation if they didn't take him to replace letterman...

2. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

I think he'll do a great job. Whether or not he'll appeal to the target demographics is another matter. But honestly, I think the hosts are much bigger than the shows themselves. They're the brand, not the show (then again, Conan couldn't get momentum when he took Leno's spot, so maybe I'm wrong). It sucks losing The Report, but this would be a huge career move for Colbert; so I don't blame him for taking the gig.

3. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

I love Colbert, but I feel he's going to have to water things down or maybe shed the alter ego altogether to succeed in this role.

Celebrity-slurping seems to be the name of the game now more than ever. Sure, it's always been done, but at least some hosts have been able to ask thorny questions. I mean, I like Fallon's hijinks, especially the musical ones, but his interviews are painful to watch.

Bill Simmons, who worked for Kimmel for a while, wrote a good piece on Dave and the current state of the late-night game a couple days ago (and predicted the Colbert pick). http://grantland.com/features/david-letterman-retires-cbs/

4. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

I'll miss the Report, but the Daily Show is great as well.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ASATMAN

ASATMAN Supporting Member

Agreed.

7. fraublugher

fraublugher

I don't think he'll change the format that much,because he doesn't need late night ,late nite needs him.

8. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

I don't think the Correspondents' Dinner will ever be topped.

9. fraublugher

fraublugher

I'll see your funny and raise you two funnies.

10. electracoyote

electracoyote

Well, if he can stay in character and do celeb interviews like he did with McCartney and Rush, I'll be tuning in every night. That was brilliant.

If he waters it down or walks the corporate line, Fallon will easily win the ratings and viewership war. I think Jimmy's doing a great job, much better than I expected.

11. mimaz

mimaz Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    No matter who the new host is....

There will never be another band quite like this one. Will, Paul, etc will be missed.

12. electracoyote

electracoyote

True dat.

13. Milk

Milk

Pretty sure he'll walk the corporate line. I mean I just can't see him doing a monologue unless he's in character, but they wouldn't want that for a late show...

14. Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

The big question, how will he pronounce his name? Everyone knows him as "col-BEAR", but the traditional family pronunciation is "COL-burt". I can't imagine he'll take his faux Bill O'Reilly act to CBS late night. Maybe he'll do the show as "COL-burt" and occasionally have his correspondent "col-BEAR" do a report.

15. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Colbert has already stated that he will not be using his 'character' (alter-ego) on the Late Show.

And I think CBS will be trying to maintain a similar demographic as Letterman, since they know there's no way they can compete effectively with Fallon (different demographic, anyway).

16. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I can go for Colbert. I've been watching Letterman for years, but have never seen a Colbert show. I have no idea what channel he's even on.

But every clip I've seen of his has a quality that I like...and I've seen a lot of clips. In fact, I think Colbert's satire and commentary has many similarities to that of Letterman. I think the Late Show is ready for a change, and I suspect he would be a great fit.

17. SteveC

SteveC

I agree.

For sure.

Goes without saying…but needed to be said.

18. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    I think that Colbert is perfectly suited for a half hour show, four nights a week on a basic cable network, based around his choice of guests and segments. I agree that although he has the talent, it may not be as solid or play up his strengths as well in a one hour, daily, network television, celebrity interview based show.

19. Jim Campbell

Jim Campbell Banned

colbert appears to have a high level of integrity,and a letterman type show is all about promoting the guest's latest gig......would be a shame to see him go that route..........i can't recall the last time i sat through a talk show but aside from the odd interesting guest they are mostly crap.....

20. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    I find myself in rare agreement with you.

21. electracoyote

electracoyote

Agreed. That's why I was hoping he would retain some of his uniqueness and idiosyncracies. I think he could still be a very effective host in the process.

It's a real turning point in late night, with two giants retiring so close together. Time to experiment with the format.