Cold Hands Syndrome

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Errol, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Errol

Errol

Hey guys,

I picked up my bass yesterday morning and (this not being the first time) I had that cold tendon/ligament/muscle feeling in my wrists down to the tips of my fingers, this obviously is not the best thing to have with bass, I feel like my agility and dexterity suffer a lot.

This happens every so often to me and I have yet to find a warmup that gets my fingers back into the zone. Not even putting them by a fire for a few minutes or moving my fingers like crazy or just playing for a half hour to get circulation back in them works. Its a mystery to me..

I was wondering if you guys know any tricks to get that warm, limber, ready-to-take-on-any-chops, feeling back from the elbows down?:bassist:

Errol
  2. Biggbass

Biggbass Supporting Member

Perhaps a warmer climate would help. lol
    Seriously though, is there a chance you may have a nerve pinch in the upper back between the shoulder blades? From having had that experience before I know that would cause those symptoms. But if not, you may want to get that checked out.
  3. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Any sort of warm up routine would help. Playing scales, simple patterns, etc.
  4. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U

Man, somebody showed me a trick 14 or so years ago, and I haven't had any problems at all with my hands since. How am I gonna explain this?

Use both hands to hold up a 7A drumstick, palms up(like you're lifting weights). Raise and twist your right hand and arm, while still gripping the stick. Do the same with your left. Do it slowly and don't force it. You'll hear some crackles.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. sotua

sotua

Can you explain the twist further?
  7. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U

You twist inward and down far enough so that you end up holding the sticks palms up again. You'll hear a bowl of Rice Crispies.
  8. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

If people are around, put your hands in your pockets. If you're alone, stuff 'em in your pants. Last March a competition percussion group I am playing bass in went to Dayton, OH for WGI world championships. It was far below freezing, and quite windy (it may have been hailing) during our allotted warmup time (our warmup spot was outside). My hands were frozen, I struggled to play anything. Luckily my part was not so important, as I was doubling alot of the timpani parts. Nevertheless, my hands were always in my pockets between reps.

And I'll just take the chance to brag, we brought home gold in our class :)
  9. Errol

Errol

Ah, some great feedback here! Much appreciated guys.
    I was worried this wouldnt be taken seriously but once again Talkbass proves me wrong and crushes my pessimism!

Ill try these all. Hopefully i can snap into tip-top playing condition when it calls for it now.

Errol