Cold weather advice

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by mmmmberger, Jan 22, 2013.

1. mmmmberger

mmmmberger

I get back late from gigs and usually leave my cab in the car overnight. With the cold weather do I risk damaging it? It's an Eden D212XLT.
    Thanks!
  2. BryanM

BryanM Supporting Member

If you're able to bring it in it's advisable if you park on the street or in a driveway because shiny things in cars look good to thieves. That being said I don't imagine it will hurt it here and there but it's probably not best to make a habit out of it. You're going to get some slight contraction in the wood but it's unlikely that it would do any damage in a few hours, or years for that matter. I'd also give it time to warm up before plugging it in so you don't get condensation, that can be an issue when going from extreme cold to toasty indoor winter temperatures.
  3. jquinn86

jquinn86

I don't think the cold will hurt it any. I'd be sure to let it warm up inside for a few hours before using it though.
  4. alembicguy

alembicguy Lone Wolf Miner Supporting Member

I live in a cold climate and it has never done harm to any of my cabs in the thirty years I've been playing gigs. Most are stored in unheated storage. Have gone from cold storage to playing a gig in 45 minutes never any damage or harm.
  5. joelb79

joelb79

Amplifiers are the exception I think to this. I was just discussing with my amp tech cold gear and he said everything would survive the temperatures just fine, but the practice of switching on an amp that has any condensation is a very bad practice. Best to keep those amps room temperature before they go on, or at least above the dewpoint temperature if you know what that is for the room.

Speakers should be fine though.
  6. Tuned

Tuned

I hear aluminum cones can crack if driven hard cold, but never seen it happen.
  7. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Never had a problem leaving cabs in the cold.

Though big +1 to Bryans comment about safety.
  8. Sparty

Sparty

Don't think there is any harm as long as you give your equipment time to acclimatise before using. Have found that if you don't crackling, buzzing and other weird noises can be caused due to unseen condensation on valves, metal contacts and leads.. Also have found that over the years cardboard cones can become worn or damaged if damp or not given time to dry out so always cover up to protect from humidity and damp ESP in hot/cold situations such as cars,it may be cold outside but if the sun is out you car can act as a greenhouse.. Also if you have the heater on while driving to a gig this can cause condensation to build on your gear.. If you turn on and things don't sound right turn off and give your gear more time to acclimatise, check for signs of condensation..
    This is just my experience over many years of slog..
  9. mmmmberger

mmmmberger

Thanks for the input! Of course the amp and bass come in but I try not to wake everyone up getting my cab through the front door at 2am.
  10. Interceptor

Interceptor Supporting Member

I've had to deal with cold weather for many years.

Gear problems are not the things I worry about on cold nights. Cars that won't start, Diesels that won't run and trying to haul gear across snow and ice are far bigger concerns.
  11. jlepre

jlepre

Cab? No problem. Bring it in and crank it. No need to wait. Amps? That's another story, especially tubes.
  12. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

I would be concerned that a speaker coils might scrape on the magnet slit if there is uneven warming and/or humidity buildup deforming the speaker cone.