1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Cold Weather - Nylon Tape Wound Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by iiipopes, Jan 9, 2014.

1. iiipopes

iiipopes

I had a Christmas gig that was outdoors. Sure, it was nominally, "in a heated tent," but we all know what that means. Brrr. But, hey, $75 for 2 hours close to home was worth it.

Here's the deal: I had just put on a set of LaBella tapes a couple of days before the gig to try them out since it had been more than thirty years since I last tried a set - you know, the old Fender sleeves - all thump, all the time.

I didn't think anything about it, until I saw the other guys trying to deal with the cold as the gig progressed: the two horn players' hands were cold, the guitar player's hands were cold, but the drummer with his wooden sticks that immediately warm to touch and my nylon tapewounds which also immediately warm to touch were just fine with no gloves in the cold tent.

So, have an outdoor gig in cold weather? Slap on a set of nylon tapewounds to get you through the gig.

Although I'm liking the tapes so well I left them on this particular 5-string bass. :D
  2. mrb327

mrb327 Just say No to Tort Supporting Member

I had noticed when my bass was riding around in the cold car, it stayed in tune with nylons. The flats always need extra tweeking.Good to see some love here for these