Cold weather

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tgriley62, Dec 4, 2013.

1. tgriley62

tgriley62

I know this may sound like a dumb question but, we are expecting to have a possible ice storm over the next few days and I would like to know what do do to protect my bass in case the electricity/heat fails & we have to leave our house. Just to give some background in 2009 we had an ice storm and were without power & heat for 27 days. Luckily we stayed with the wife's mom who had propane heat and a generator for electricity but, she has since passed & we may have to shelter somewhere else. So, in case I can not take my bass what should I do to protect it. Should I just loosen the stings and place it in its case?

Thanks
  2. mrb327

mrb327 Just say No to Tort Supporting Member

This finish would be the real story, but I have heard multiple folks say to leave the bass strung. Is the home insured for such loss that would cover?
  3. sowilson

sowilson

it's the drastic changes in temperature and humidity that will mess with your bass. Just keep it in the case (always) and it will be OK.
  4. shaft311

shaft311 Supporting Member

It'll be fine just the way it is. Guys tour all over the world into climates that are night and day different, and their basses don't fall apart.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. HolmeBass

HolmeBass Supporting Member

Media:
    Why didn't you get the propane heater and generator in her will? Maybe go buy those two things so you'll be ready??
  7. tgriley62

tgriley62

Thanks for the help. Now off to the store for supplies
  8. Trevor Murphy

Trevor Murphy

I am going through the same problem right now as far as keeping my bass safe from the cold. With winter here, and lots of Xmas gigs, I am frequently bringing my bass from hot heated rooms, to outside in cold temperatures, back into heated rooms. I am mostly worried because of the frequent, and rather large temperature changes.
    What have other players done in the winter to keep their basses safe from these drastic temperature changes?
    Any thoughts on the idea of insulating the gig bag with some kind of material? I am considering doing this soon