Collateral Damage

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by jonas_24112, Jan 20, 2013.

1. jonas_24112

jonas_24112

During our final set last night, a couple of guys got cut off from the bar and I guess decided to go outside and fight in the parking lot beside my car. It didn't seem like a problem at the time, so We ended shortly thereafter and started load out. During load out, of course there's still some people hangin around the parking lot talking about the fight. That's when I notice a big dent in my car and a vent visor broken, so I start questioning the girl in the truck parked beside me. One guy took off on foot and the other in a car. She gives me one name of a guy in the fight and then she tries to leave cause I'm calling the cops. That's when she literally backs into the side of our lead singers truck HARD. It literally shifted the body of the whole front end of his Jeep Wagoneer a couple inches off center. We hold her there till the police get there to make all the reports. Turns out it was her ex boyfrends truck too. I saw one of the guys that had been in the fight a couple miles down the road sitting on the curb looking lost. The cops could have cared less. Hope he froze his arse off. I guess we'll let the insurance companies sort it out.

2. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

OH - The hazards of playing where people drink! Brings to mind those sleazy roadhouses where a chain link fence protects the band from the audience. (or vice versa!)

3. Stewie26

Stewie26 Gold Supporting Member

I had this happen to me back in the 90's. Some D-bag decided to thrash some other poor guys skull against my car's hood multiple times in the parking lot during a show.
    Lots of dents and even some blood on my hood. Now, after loading in, I park my vehicle as far as way as possible from the bar door exits. Live and learn.

4. kjpollo

kjpollo

Hmm- good lesson here! Last time out (my 1st gig ever) I got a great spot near the front door and was able to load in and load out really easily.
    Never gave a thought to something like that happening though!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Supporting Member

Rule #1 of playing bar gigs: Never park near the door.....

7. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Yet another reason I don't like going to bars ...

8. dukeisdog

dukeisdog Supporting Member

Only started playing bar shows the past year or so but this is something that never really crossed my mind before either.

9. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    About 12 years ago the band I was in was playing our last set and decided to play Limp Bizkit's "Break Stuff". Several members of the audience decided to do just that. They eventually made their way to the parking lot and began damaging cars. We never played the song again.

10. Doug R

Doug R

Unload the gear; Move the truck; Park it away from the drunks & jerks; Move it back at the end of the night after the stage gear is packed ready to load.
    (Ever stepped in somebody's vomit right by your car door when you're ready to leave?)

11. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

In the late 70's my brother parked his early 70's Cadillac next to the bar owner's early 70's Cadillac at one of our gigs. The bar owner threw a drunk out at the end of the night. The drunk decided to set the bar owner's car on fire. Of course he screwed up and set my brother's Caddy on fire instead...

It's no fun at all to go out to load and watching firemen put the fire out in your car at 2:30 in the morning.

12. Stewie26

Stewie26 Gold Supporting Member

Sorry, but I couldn't help but laugh when I read what happened. I am sure it was sad at the time but I'm willing to bet that you and your brother would smile and have a good laugh if you were talking about it today.

13. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

We do. It was a horrible night at the time. 35 or so years later it's funny.

The bar owner was horrified that someone would try to set his car on fire and was mad that his car got singed by my brother's car that was toast...

14. stagebanter

stagebanter

We have a clause in our contract that makes the venue liable for any damages to our gear - including vehicles - that happens while we're playing. A couple of them refuse to sign unless we strike it, but most of them just throw pen to paper and call it a day.

15. LostInSauce

LostInSauce

+100 for parking away from the door after load-in. Last summer after a gig at the beach, came out of the bar for the short walk to my car with my first load of gear only to find a drunken d-bag in between my car and the drummer's truck taking a piss...managing to hit both vehicles in doing so. Tried to be mad as hell, but while pissing he was singing one of the originals we just played. Distance from the front door is golden.

16. armywalaby

armywalaby

IME, if I'm not up by the front door all night, I have to schlep PA a very uncomfortable distance from the door. Only the rich neighborhoods around here get new sidewalks every year...some neighborhoods have had the same busted up sidewalks since I started remembering things. Maybe it'd be different if I was driving a new car, but I always buy used. Having something in the contract is a good idea.

17. dtripoli

dtripoli

Load in for the dive bar was a narrow rear alley. Owner said to set up and OK to park there during the gig. Some yahoo parks behind our cars during the evening, gets drunk and takes the bartenders advice to "Take a cab home" We are stuck in the alley until 4am when they finally tow the drunks vehicle out.

18. guy n. cognito

Completely unenforceable and I'd love to meet the venue owner that would just pay up without a lawsuit.

19. guy n. cognito

Park by door

Unload gear

Move car

After gig, move car back to door

Load gear.

Not that hard. Where is this town that replaces the sidewalks every year? I live in one of the wealthiest counties in the country and we don't have this service. ;)

20. stagebanter

stagebanter

We also have a lawyer.

21. guy n. cognito

Then he should have told you that already. ;)