College Audition Question

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by ilikemathrock, Jan 15, 2014.

1. ilikemathrock

ilikemathrock

Hi guys! This is my first time posting on TB, so please excuse me if I'm posting this in the incorrect forum. Anyways, I'm auditioning for Jazz Performance for electric bass this Monday, and I have to learn 3 songs, one of which is required (Sandu by Clifford Brown). For one of the other songs I'm going to do Donna Lee by Charlie Parker (not Jaco's version, because I figured it would be better to learn the melody/changes and improvise over it as opposed to learning Jaco's version note for note, because jazz is all about improv).

Anyway! I'm really stumped about what I should do for my third song, and I just remembered that there was an online community of bass players that may be able to help me out :).

What do you guys suggest I should play for a third song choice?

2. Journey55

Journey55 Supporting Member

So What is always a fun one

3. bostonasphalt2

bostonasphalt2 Supporting Member

Some three chord punk always does the trick hahah

4. ilikemathrock

ilikemathrock

Especially for a Jazz audition!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Something very different than the other two. Classical is nice and a very tempting choice would be the Prelude from the first Bach Cello suite. Note however, many bassist play this movement. There are six moments in the cello suite and then there's 5 more suites. Take a look at the minuets (g minor and G major) to the first suite. Nice music, very playable. The Gigue (last movement) is very good too. Second Suite Prelude is very useable. If you can figure a way to play the Sarabande from the 6th Suite, give us a post, lovely music, but written for 5 string cello.
    Don't forget Vivaldi as playable bass music. Also many oboe and trumpet concertos can be played in the bass range. Oh yea, check out the middle movement of Rimsky-Korsakov's Trombone Concerto.

7. the_stone

the_stone

Assuming that you are going to a legitimate college/university with an established music program, my answer as to what you should play would be: whatever you can play that highlights your current musical abilities.

The professors you play for will be (or at least, should be) professionals who won't be impressed by someone that can play a million notes per measure, or that can play Jaco's version of Donna Lee twice as fast and behind their back. What they're looking for is musical ability - can you play in time, in tune, with a good pocket and exhibit good musicality on your instrument? Do you have any major deficiencies in your playing, and if so, are they correctable given your predilection for study?

So given that, play something that you are comfortable playing and that you feel will showcase you as a musician. Unless you're the kind that likes a challenge, now is not the time to try to learn a completely new tune just so that you can impress those that will be listening.

8. wrench45us

wrench45us

my standard recommendation is a lyrical jazz waltz

my sense is those professors must get tired of hearing walking and funking in 4/4
    and something lyrical in 3/4 might wake them up a bit and help you stand out