1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

College Auditions comin up 2013

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by NicholasF, Oct 16, 2012.

1. NicholasF

NicholasF Guest

Hey guys, just posting to say how excited i am for auditions, their all in february. Anyone else out there doin any college auditions?

Audition Rep: Eccles 1&2, Simandle 2&8, all major and minor scales 2 oct.(some 3)

Starting my Eugene Levenson rep soon too!

2. AClark

AClark

I am! I'm playing some koussevitzky (1st movement) Bach cello suite #1 prelude, Beethoven 5, Mozart 35 or 40 (still haven't decided) and possibly Brahms 2.

Where are you applying?

3. NicholasF

NicholasF Guest

Im applying to a few schools, but i have so many i liked i cant choose.

4. AClark

AClark

Same here. My list keeps getting shorter because some of the schools further away aren't very practical for me. Thankfully, I live within a 4 hour distance from 3 really great universities/conservatories.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ThumpPlunkJunk

ThumpPlunkJunk

Applying for CIM, Oberlin, (maybe)Curtis, Eastman, SUNY Purchase, Peabody*, Indiana U*, RCM and Guildhall.

I'm doing Dittersdorf, Eccles, Beethoven 5th Scherzo and Trio, Brahms 1st (at E), Die Meistersinger, maybe Beethoven's 9th and an E-Minor etude from Simandl.

Scales and whatnot too.

*Decided to put Peabody and IU on too. Wanted to take a second look at Peabody, and looking at the sheer amount of graduates who are in major orchestras coming from IU makes me think they're doing something very right.

7. AClark

AClark

Great list! Mine is IU, CIM, CCM, and then my back up schools are university of ky and university of louisville.

8. Adam Attard

Adam Attard

Not to hijack this thread, but I'm a freshman at CIM- if you have any questions feel free to pm me!

9. AClark

AClark

I'll probably take you up on that offer soon...

10. NicholasF

NicholasF Guest

As of tonight its JMU, Rutgers, UHa, Potsdam, NYU, Temple, and McGill

11. ThumpPlunkJunk

ThumpPlunkJunk

I hope you don't mind if I do as well.

12. Adam Attard

Adam Attard

Feel free. I'm open to any questions you might have!

13. ThumpPlunkJunk

ThumpPlunkJunk

Anyone know what's happening with Lawrence Hurst at IU? I know he's retiring, but is anyone replacing him or is it just Bransby?

Furthermore, any IU grads or current students here who'd like to comment on Bransby?

14. mattburgbass

mattburgbass

I'll be applying to Eastman, NEC, Peabody, MSM, and Curtis.:hyper:

15. ThumpPlunkJunk

ThumpPlunkJunk

Hey! I've heard of you! You were at States last year, right? I'm from District 10--a friend of mine said you were already accepted at Eastman.

16. Adam Attard

Adam Attard

Hurst is retired. He's been replaced for a year by Craig Brown (North Carolina) but from what I understand, a permanent replacement is still being sought.

17. mattburgbass

mattburgbass

Not possible, haven't even auditioned yet. Yeah I was at states! who's your friend? :)

18. ThumpPlunkJunk

ThumpPlunkJunk

He's a violinist, I'll PM you his name.

Hope to see you there this year--last year was my first time at Districts, and I was about two points away from making regionals.

Any idea on who?

19. mattgray

mattgray

I studied with Bransby for four years (now doing an MMus at McGill) -- If you have any questions about him I'd love to help you over PM as, with any studio/teacher, everyone is extremely unique and needs/learns different things from his/her respective teacher. That being said, I enjoyed my time at IU and enjoyed working with the man. The only real way to know if you want to study with him (or any teacher, for that matter) is to call/email him and try to get a lesson as soon as possible. By the time I auditioned I had already met with him twice or so beforehand.

20. AClark

AClark

I talked to an admissions lady from IU and said they are currently searching and they should have an answer by the time we audition. That's the only info I could get.
    Im sure Whoever they choose will be great, but I'm rooting for mr. Craig brown! He's an amazing teacher. I'm auditioning wherever he teaches.

21. thedbman4265

thedbman4265

Mr. Bransby and Mr. Brown are both fantastic teachers but polar opposites in the way they approach the bass. I've studied with Mr. Brown the past couple of months at IU and just wanted to say that I have gained a lot of knowledge from working with him, especially involving technique. He's one of the best in the country to study with if you really want to develop a killer spiccato. Sorry to keep doing this hijacking thing, but I'd be happy to answer any questions if you are thinking of auditioning here!