College Decision

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Jake Morris, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Jake Morris

Jake Morris Supporting Member

I am a senior in high school, and have heard back from all the schools I applied to; all acceptances. I applied to William Paterson, SUNY Purchase, Berklee College of Music, and University of Miami. I want to study music engineering, as well as performance, or at least still be able to play a fair amount. Only thing is, I did not get into the audio engineering program at Miami, but got into my second choice, a performance major. Any one have any suggestions/ have any knowledge of these programs?
  2. ChuckCorbisiero

ChuckCorbisiero

Just my impression of the schools you mentioned.
    In terms of cost SUNY Purchase is a great deal. It is very reasonably priced. But you're an out of state tuition person. I still think it's a good value. Close to home....well, kind of. The faculty is outstanding. They have a studio production degree. The second link down.

http://www.purchase.edu/Departments/AcademicPrograms/Faculty/music-jazzstudies.aspx

http://www.purchase.edu/Departments/AcademicPrograms/Arts/Music/StudioProduction/default.aspx

Paterson. You will be in state tuition and it's a public university. Will be very reasonably priced. Other than that I don't know anything about it.

Univ. of Miami is great but it will cost a fortune. The faculty is outstanding. Maybe you could weasel your way into the engineering program at a later date after you get in. Lots of distraction at Miami though. Hard to describe.

Berklee. I don't know enough about it.
  3. d00dr

d00dr Supporting Member

SUNY Fredonia also has a killer sound engineering program. I studied Music Business/Music Performance there. Great school, nice little town...
  4. groooooove

groooooove

don't underestimate community college.

especially near a big city, where music-realted jobs are even more competitive, you get awesome teachers who are just starting out their careers. the two best music teachers i've ever known were at the community college i attended- and neither of them are still there, they've moved on to higher-priced and more recognized universities since then.

that being said, i know a lot of people who went to purchase and i know it's a good school, and i seem to recall them having a really good jazz performance program, if that means anything to you.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jake Morris

Decided on Paterson. Great program for jazz studies and audio engineering. Killin faculty too. And it's near nyc, which is important.
    ChuckCorbisiero likes this.
  7. ChuckCorbisiero

ChuckCorbisiero

Near N.Y.C. .........very important. Good job figuring that out. Excellent!
  8. Jake Morris

Thanks. They really care about their students and line them up with internships and such in the city, which not many other programs can do.
    ChuckCorbisiero likes this.
  9. ChuckCorbisiero

ChuckCorbisiero

Exciting bro. Enjoy it. This is good. Savor it.