Colleges offering degrees in electric bass performance?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by DEFELDUS, Aug 27, 2003.

1. DEFELDUS

DEFELDUS

hey guys, im getting everything together and looking for a college and all (im a senior in high school) and i was wondering if any of you know of any colleges that do offer this. i would love to major in electric bass performance, maybe in a jazz or world music type program. i have looked all over and most college's websites are pretty vauge as to whether they offer this or not. so if you know of any could you please let me know, i would hate to have to major in something other than music, seeing as its my life and what i live for. thanks

2. yoshi

yoshi

You havnt stated your location but from what I know of you I'm thinking your American. Anyway, if your in the UK, or willing to move here for college (university), check out this site and search for related courses, itll display everywhere that has such a course etc.

www.ucas.co.uk

3. DEFELDUS

DEFELDUS

oh yeah, sorry bout that.

im in america, south carolina to be specific. it would be great to find something in state, but if not something in the general southeast would be nice. thanks

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    General Instruction.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

7. Abluesbassist

Abluesbassist

8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    AFAIK, Musician's Institute and the Collectives are not colleges, meaning you don't graduate with a degree, which is what I'd recommend as far as educational goals are concerned.

I don't think DEF is looking for vocational schools, although that doesn't mean he can't go to one as well. Just not instead of.

DEF, if you want to focus in South Carolina, you're better off going to google, finding the universities and colleges that interest you ans checking their websites or calling them yourself.

9. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

The University of North Texas has a great music program. Their lab bands have won grammies.

10. ClarkW

ClarkW

I'll second the University of North Texas nomination. I went there for two years (not studying music, though) and it's probably the best non-private music program you'll find. Any night of the week, if we were bored we'd just wander over to the music building or any dormitory lounge or student union building and there would be some sort of free concert. Every type of music you could imagine from punk to classical and probably some classical punk, too.

Find someone who lives in TX, live with them a year or whatever while working to save money, then get in-state tuition and enjoy the blistering summers and sorta-chilly winters of the Texas plains. :)

11. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

12. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

13. ConU

ConU

I think what you are going to find at the college or univ.level,are degree courses in music,music studies or jazz studies.These programs focus heavily on generic theory,ear-training,history and performance as the core of the program.Electives include composition,arranging,more history etc.I don't know of anywhere personally where you can get a BA in electric bass performance,you can do a masters in jazz performance as a BG though,course you need a BA in music first.
    You go into a BA program as a BG player and do private study and ensemble as the performance part.The rest of the time,there's no bass in your hands.IMO it's a much more rounded,complete education than a trade school like MI etc.

14. DEFELDUS

DEFELDUS

thanks for the replies guys. just a question for you con, so you're saying that any college that offers a Jazz program, such as USC (one of the top contenders for the college i might choose), i could do the jazz major (jazz studies i think its called there) and be able to get my degree and all and do the private studies and performance classes on bg? i dont really understand this all that much.

let me try again: you're saying i would get my Bachelor of Music with an emphasis in jazz studies right? and that whereever i choose that offers this it would be fine for me to pursue this degree playing BG? i was under the impression that i would have to find a program offering a degree in jazz performance on electric bass.

15. ConU

ConU

That's right,however....
    Some schools take BG,some don't.The Univ.I attended did,the other major Univ. here does'nt.IME Univ.'s offer degree programs in music,not a specific instrument.My degree reads Bachelor of Fine Arts(with distinction I might add:D)Integrative Music Studies.The core of my program was centered around generic(classical)theory and ear-training,and jazz performance,harmony,composition/arranging and history.
    Now that I have the BA,I can go on and do a Master's in jazz performance,but again some schools don't accept BG.(even if I can wipe the floor with some of the DBer's currently in the programme:eek: )
    I think you're far better off at the Univ.level.You get a far more,musical,rounded education than a school like Berklee.
    I'd be interested to know what Pacman or Chris.F think about this.

16. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Disclosures:
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Me too.

I was going to start a "Music Degree vs. Music School (ex. Berklee) vs. Private Lessons Only" thread, but you've just asked that question. :)

Myself, I take private lessons now, and I took a couple of music courses as electives in university. I've never been to a music school.

Obviously the degree is more concentrated and enables you to learn every facet of music, and the piece of paper will help you get a job.

But, what of those who have full-time jobs? I'd love to go back to school and do a music degree, but I wouldn't look forward to being a poor student again for another four years. Also, since I don't know what my career path is going to be yet, exactly, I think that would be a foolish choice at this point.

So my question to those that have pursued the degree is - just how much (and what) did you learn in the program that would be IMPOSSIBLE to learn through a private teacher?

17. ConU

ConU

Nothing really,it's all written down somewhere.If you have the discipline,you could do it all in your basement and the library.But...
    I studied ear-training and harmony for 3 years with an internationally known concert pianist.
    I studied American Popular Song and Jazz composition with the guy who wrote "Mingus,more than a fake book"
    I played in the jazz choir being led by a juno nominated vocalist.
    I studied Jazz Improv.with a trumpet player who's credits read like a who's who of the industry.(Wynton Marsalis addresses him as "Professor")
    I did private study with 2 first call session guys in the city,both older,seasoned experienced players.
    Get my point?

18. DEFELDUS

DEFELDUS

once again, thanks for the replies guys. well i did some more research today and found this, it really intriques me and i know i would love to study this.

so my question is does it look like a well rounded program? also, would you recommend i email someone at the USC school of music to find out if BG would be accepted?

19. ConU

ConU

YES!
    I'd be suprised though if they take BG:(
    That's the kind of core program you are looking for though(minus the classical instrument)
    The rest is very similar to the jazz studies program at Concordia U.in Montréal.

20. DEFELDUS

DEFELDUS

got my application package for university of miami in the mail today! i really really want to go here, the campus is amazing and the city would be a nice change of pace from my small town life, and its my dream to major in music, and their "sudio music and jazz" degree looks like a blast. hopefully admission will be easy for me because i am applying early, i have a very good GPA/class rank (4.2, top ten out of 350+ class) and a clean record. wish me luck

21. AkosBass

AkosBass

hi

Is there Electric bass performance at New school for jazz and contemporary music ,New York.?
    Or just double bass?

regards