Collin-Mezin Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by SirFunk, Sep 12, 2013.

1. SirFunk

SirFunk

I'm wondering if anyone here has owned or played these instruments? I'm currently looking for an instrument better suited for solo playing than my current instrument.

Cincinnati bass cellar has two of these that I'm eyeing (currently out of my price range but I may sell some gear and save up if one seems like the right bass). Can anyone speak to how they play and sound? Cincinnati is quite a hike from where I am so I am curious to hear any general comments before planning a trip.
  2. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

I've tried two: one was fabulous, warm singing tone that would be great for solo/small orchestra. The other was mush; nothing. They can have heavy tops etc and maybe that makes a difference. They are very comfortable basses to get around; Arnold Scnitzer has one on his site, too.
    Louis
  3. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

4. SirFunk

SirFunk

LouisF: thanks for the observations. Cincinnati has 2 currently, one has been re-graded and the other not. That would be interesting to compare.
  5. Will Yager

Will Yager

My teacher plays on one and I think it is one of the best instruments I've played. He's had Arnold look over the bass recently and they seem relatively certain that it may have been the prototype model for those basses.